CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Jala Neti

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
Ken

Re: Jala Neti

Post by Ken » Tue May 13, 2008 3:26 pm

This item might be of interest....I agree that nasal breathing does seem to be the "default"(and prefered) way of breathing especially when we sleep, since the air gets filtered for the lungs. Three years ago, the roof of my mouth was always really dry in the middle of the night. In hindsight, my nose was always blocked, thus forcing me to just breathe through the mouth which dried out and vibrated (snored!!). This is why the clinics try to get people to have nasal masks first (IMO). Bring on the Jala Neti, it's been a godsend (along with Singing for Snorers!) ATB Ken
http://matthewcox.org/neti/workplace.html#inb

madhippy

Post by madhippy » Mon May 19, 2008 8:25 pm

does jala neti hurt ?

since starting cpap - well apap - I've had some blood in my mucus ... no polite way of describing that ... assumed it was due to the pressure

nose is always a bit stuffy so have been using a decongestant ...

was worried the salt my hurt mind ...

Ken

Post by Ken » Sat May 24, 2008 9:04 pm

Jala neti does not hurt if you do it correctly, there are quite a few youtube videos showing you how to do it. I have used quite a few decongestants in the past and the neti-pot system is far better. I would occasionally get some blood in my mucous, if I blew my nose too hard, but I guess there will be more than one reason for this happening..Cheers anyhow, Ken

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:57 pm

I started reading this book last week called "Sinus Relief Now". I am not saying that it is the answer to everyones problems, but it is certainly interesting. The author links nasal and sinus problems together with acid reflux and snoring and sleep apnoea...He describes all sorts of operations and treatments and is quite keen on nasal irrigation including jala neti!!!. Please read the customer reviews at the bottom of this page...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sinus-Relief-No ... 706&sr=1-1
All the best Ken

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:39 am

Various family members and friends have asked if I would get them neti pots, and I ordered 4 stainless steel ones and 10 plastic travel ones, this was Monday 28th Dec at 1250 p.m. they arrived 11 a.m. the next day!!
Fantastic, since then two family members have rung me up to say that their flu-like symptoms cleared up in a day!!!!!!!
It's nearly a year since I started using one, and it's great what they do for the health..........everyone ought to give it a go!!!! ATB Ken

https://www.shopholistic.co.uk/view_doc.php?view_doc=16

Ken

Post by Ken » Thu May 07, 2009 10:29 pm

Hi Mac, It is the same Rob, or Roberto who started this thread off, who is the subject to the youtube in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1410

Like he says, on his original posting, "I cannot recommend jala neti highly enough"..............I only wish that I had taken his advice straight away! I think everyone who has a nasal mask would benefit by doing jala neti before they went to bed! If I ever feel that I have a cold coming on, then I do two neti pots a day. BTW sorry about the delay, I have only just seen your posting. ATB Ken

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:33 pm

I just bought some sea salt at my local healthshop on Saturday, it was 55p for 500 grammes...this is my third bag, I don't think the medical profession will be recommending something that costs £1 a year anytime soon :lol:
p.s. If anyone out there is trying a teapot instead of a neti pot, Please please be careful of the pressure you apply to the nostril with the spout, especially if you've been out drinking, you have to be gentle, and the salt water must be lukewarm (ie comfortable, blood heat)
Remember to stand on your feet and hang your head down afterwards, this lets the tiny amount that can get trapped in your nose come out. Mind you, if you forget, and I do sometimes, it just means that you get about a tablespoon of salt water on your pillow when you get into bed :lol: All the best Ken

Ken

Post by Ken » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:12 pm

There has been very little feedback, positive or otherwise from site members about the joys of breathing through clear nostrils, so allow me to quote a couple of testimonials from another website........
"The Neti Pot is wonderful. I have had three sinus surgeries this past year. Taking Predisone and antibiotic in mega doses. I would still be going to the Doctor and taking these dangerous drugs if it were not for the Neti. Even though it is difficult to learn exactly how to use it properly it is well worth the effort. It took me about a week to get the correct water flow through my nasal passage but, it is working great and no medication at all. I feel so much better. I can breathe."

Ruth Summerlin, Theodore, LA
and one from very near where I live...
"I'm 33 and Ive experienced 33 years of problems with sinuses, asthma, childhood deafness as a result, adenoids removed etc etc and chronic allergies to dust, hay fever, anger + frustration as a result.

The pot and the beginners method is easy to get into and has worked extremely well, within a couple of months.

I'm continuously more flowing with the breath and clearer thinking as my brain doesn't heat up to panic temperature anymore, the head feels cooler and I don't get frustrated and impatient or need to sneeze painfully, for hours through a toilet roll if I'm in a dusty environment."

Andrew Taylor, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
If you want to see a load more, this is the website, I got those from..
Although, I have to say, I bought my stainless steel neti pot from Shopneti in Wales
http://www.healthandyoga.com/HTML/testi ... tipot.html

All the best "Clear nosed Ken" from West Yorkshire :D

Ken

Post by Ken » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:35 pm

You didn't wait long, Nuneatonman, actually I haven't "freaked my beak" since yesterday, with or without commission (LOL) Cheers Ken :)

leng

Post by leng » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:58 pm

Ken how long have you used the neti potty to clear your sinuses, as an old nurse we used to have to regularly use both manual and automatic aspirators on babies, as with sinus operations in ent surgery units. The Americans and scandinavians seem to go big ways with the idea, to keep sinuses clear especialy if working in very dusty atmospheres, or where they have to rely upon private health insurance companies, for keeping our sinuses clear or not being able to purchase over the counter decongestants, as in UK where the latter is far more prevelant than UK.

Ironic many years ago when they were looking at cancers of the nasal system, there was some suggestions it could even prevent it, but was never fully explained, probably due to the amount of funding into decongestants. Keep up the effort, when you start to bottle the remants for sale will people start to worry. :lol: :lol:

Ken

Post by Ken » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:14 pm

Hi Leng, and nuneatonman
In answer to your question, I have done the neti pot since Feb 08. Previous to that I think I was on nasal sprays for rhinitis for twelve years I haven't ordered any more sprays from that date, simply haven't needed any. (Profits must be down somewhere (LOL) I think I felt a cold coming on a couple of times and doubled up on the procedure, but the colds never really materialised like they did in the past.
If I had nasal cancer, then I might be tempted to try this mixture for the pot..
http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=1155655

however I really would have to be diagnosed first, Imagine being a pi**head without being an alcoholic :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the best for now Ken PHD...the D stands for deinitely not (AhAh)

leng

Post by leng » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:28 pm

Ironic as it sounds, supporting you guys with nasal irrigation, I don't myself, butnhave had to professionaly do it for a ward of people several times, the mornings were the worst. Your cooment of seal salt we knew could be soothing, but questioned how cleansing it could be if not taken in exact strengths, not sure about the pee bit!

If or when I am to be inflicted with the big "c" bit, I am sure I will take it on the chin, and turn for support with it.

Ken

Post by Ken » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:27 pm

bump :D

Ken

Post by Ken » Thu May 20, 2010 3:40 pm

Bumpety Bump cheque is on it's way Nm :lol: :lol: ...only joking Ken

dan
Site Admin

Post by dan » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:37 pm

We are currently looking for participants to answer our short questionnaire about nasal irrigation.

http://www.britishsnoring.co.uk/netiq.html

All input is very much appreciated :)
Dan Kew
IT Manager
British Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Association