CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

back and chest pain

Talk about all aspects of sleep apnoea. Request help from others with the same problem, tell your story, exchange tips & techniques ..
bjnorris

back and chest pain

Post by bjnorris » Mon May 13, 2013 11:34 pm

I've been using CPAP for around eight weeks now. I started off using a full face mask but have since changed to a nasal one, as I found this more comfortable.

I seem to be getting a good nights sleep, and for the first time in ages I've managed to read a whole book in just three days, rather than falling asleep after one chapter.....

However the problem I'm having is that I now wake up around 6am every morning with painful mid back and chest pain. This forces me to get up early, take some pain killers and do some stretching exercises. The pain usually goes after around half an hour.

This happens every day and is the same with either mask. Does anyone else suffer the same? I left the CPAP off one night and had no pain the following morning?

I'm guessing that it could be one of the following

1/ Extra strain on the mussels due to having to breath out against the air flow?

2/ Sleeping so soundly that I'm staying in one position to long?

3/ Not being able to turn over naturally in the night due to the mask & Tube restricting my movements?

4/ Air getting into the stomach etc and putting pressure on my internal bits & bobs?

Alsacienne
General Snorer

Re: back and chest pain

Post by Alsacienne » Tue May 14, 2013 5:02 pm

Welcome to the forum bjnorris!

Here's my take on your thoughts ... (as a CPAP user, but by no means an expert!)
1/ Extra strain on the mussels due to having to breath out against the air flow?
Possibly but not the most like reason from what you suggest. It might be worth asking your clinic if your machine has an EPR function (expiratory pressure relief). If this is 'enabled', then it will make it easier to breathe out and then you are very much less likely to have intercostal muscle pain.
I'm not buying this one!! Even if you sleep soundly you change position without consciously knowing it ... (I think!)
3/ Not being able to turn over naturally in the night due to the mask & Tube restricting my movements?
Not really buying into this one either ... your mask tube should be 2 m long, and should allow you to move freely. Your mask should be fitted so that it is lying gently against your face when under pressure and not strapped hard down onto your skin. The length of your tube and placing your machine by your bed as distinct from the other side of the room should give you plenty of movement possibility.
4/ Air getting into the stomach etc and putting pressure on my internal bits & bobs?
This is the reason that I would think you are having problems. The constant air intake keeps you alive but that air has to go somewhere. And it can either go up or down!! Even a small amount of trapped gas can be excruciatingly painful ... so I think you may find that this is the primary reason behind your problems.

It is a regretable fact of xPAP life that a certain amount of burping and farting are necessary for comfort, and one just has to face up to the reality of this ... and become proficient in expelling the air so that no one notices! :lol:

sandwichman
Captain Snorer

Post by sandwichman » Tue May 14, 2013 5:33 pm

Alsacienne wrote:
I'm not buying this one!! Even if you sleep soundly you change position without consciously knowing it ... (I think!)

It is likely that your are turning less than you used to. Some mornings I wake with a "dead" arm through not moving around.
Alsacienne wrote:
This is the reason that I would think you are having problems. The constant air intake keeps you alive but that air has to go somewhere. And it can either go up or down!! Even a small amount of trapped gas can be excruciatingly painful ... so I think you may find that this is the primary reason behind your problems.

It is a regretable fact of xPAP life that a certain amount of burping and farting are necessary for comfort, and one just has to face up to the reality of this ... and become proficient in expelling the air so that no one notices! :lol:
I don't have any pain but frequently burp and/or fart for an hour or two.

Tony

Post by Tony » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:56 pm

I used to wake up with back and neck pain, discovered I was using 2 pillows and due to general lack of movement was putting strain on these areas. Started using 1 thin soft pillow and try to lay as flat as possible, now no pain!
Tony.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:41 pm

bjnorris wrote:
I'm guessing that it could be one of the following

There is a bit of truth in everything you say, though it affects everyone in different ways.

1/ I used to find this, used to it now though, but I an at a high pressure and there was no machines with relief when breathing out when I started.

2/ There is a tendency to lie more in one position when you fall asleep at the start of treatment as moving usually ends up in a leak. However once you are on the treatment a while if you move and get a leak you will deal with it in your sleep without thinking about it.

3/ I used to find a bit of restriction, but I put the hose in a loop now so I can turn as much as I like, though turning right round a couple of times might cause problems :lol:

4/ I have not been bothered with that, but I know a lot of people complain about it.

5/ Sore chest due to the muscles having to push air out that is under more pressure than they are used to, however, they soon get used to the extra work and after a while you will not notice.

A lot depends on the pressure your machine is set for, everyone copes differently.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

ladyshiggle
Warrant Officer Snorer

Post by ladyshiggle » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:06 pm

Hello guys,

If you've seen any of my previous posts you'll know I've had my machine for just a week - and I'm having these aches and pains too! Mine is lower back, but also the chest area - it goes quite quickly once I'm up and moving though.

Lady S
x
Lady S
x

Brian
Private Snorer

Post by Brian » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:28 am

Well it's now two years later and the pains are still there most mornings!
I feel wide awake after my six good hours of sleep. But hell my body feels like hell and I just have to get up and sit down for 20 or so mins before the pains go and I'm fit to do anything.

I also have to blow my nose around six times to remove all the mucus build up.. yuk!
One other thing is that when I awake I'm absolutely bursting for the loo.. could this be causing the problem, however the pains are in my chest & back not my stomach!

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:58 pm

1 and 4 is the most likely causes.
Sleeping more on your back can also cause you pain in the back as using a mask that is knocked by sleeping on your side causes you to lay on your back more.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

gwen10
Private Snorer

Post by gwen10 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:51 pm

Hi

I also am new using my APAP machine for about 8 weeks, I too on occasion have had chest pain and sore back.

I called the hospital and they told me that its most likely trapped wind and to buy something like infacol this should help, I havent tried this yet, but when I get round to it, will let you know if this works.

Alsacienne
General Snorer

Post by Alsacienne » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:13 pm

Trapped wind is very likely because you're forcing pressurised air through your system in a way that your body's never experienced before. The best solution - on medical grounds - is to burp and fart until the airpocket passes out. Sorry, but true!

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:20 pm

Alsacienne wrote:Trapped wind is very likely because you're forcing pressurised air through your system in a way that your body's never experienced before. The best solution - on medical grounds - is to burp and fart until the airpocket passes out. Sorry, but true!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol:
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Suse
Brigadier Snorer

Post by Suse » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:15 am

Finding a bit of humour in the burping farting process also helps! Some mornings I have more of an 'air baby' tummy than others. It has also settled over the years too!

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:13 pm

thanks info