CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

CPAP causing air to come OUT of eye!

Share your experiences with CPAP, request help, find out the latest developments ....
Caryl
Corporal Snorer

CPAP causing air to come OUT of eye!

Post by Caryl » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:18 am

Hi, I have a very weird reaction to CPAP that I wonder if anyone else gets, and a bit of googling has shown that it's a bona fide thing and not just my imagination. Ever since my first night on CPAP, as soon as the pressure gets near it's maximum (I think it's set to 11), I get the sensation of bubbles coming out of the inner corner of my left eye and the eyeball seems to twitch. Blinking makes a loud clicking noise. It's really uncomfortable and I have to wedge my fingers against my eye to relieve it. It's not my eyelid twitching, we all get that from time to time and wouldn't worry me. And it's not air blowing INTO the eye from the mask either, I have no leaks near the eye. From reading tonight, I am thinking that it sounds like air travelling the other way back through the lacrymal duct and out of the puncta of the left eye. This can happen when you blow your nose, but it looks like my CPAP is making it happen.

Does anyone else get this and does it go away at some point? I want to ask the clinic to increase the pressure of my machine as it doesn't seem to be helping me at the moment, but increasing the pressure might make this symptom worse. The other concern is that it can cause an infection if air from the nose is being forced up through the tear duct.

Anyone with experience of this?

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: CPAP causing air to come OUT of eye!

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:14 pm

No, I have never heard of this happening before. It is quite possible though as everything is connected and close in the head.
I am on 18 and I am not affected by this. You must be just unlucky! I have no idea if it will stop or not.
I would give your Sleep Nurse a phone at the clinic for some advice on this one.
I would imagine that it will get worse with pressure.

It might be that you would be better off with an APAP if you have not got one already, that way it will only bother you when you need the higher pressure. The machine will sit at a lower pressure that you can tolerate without this happening, when you have an event it will increase in pressure then drop off, so maybe you might be able to handle this, Talk to your clinic, you must be one of the very few that suffers from this.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Caryl
Corporal Snorer

Post by Caryl » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:16 am

Hi again, S2S. Yes, I must be unlucky, although I am not alone as I did find discussion about this very thing on another CPAP forum. Nice to know I am not the only one with such a strange symptom. I really need to speak with my clinic about a few things really.

APAP sounds interesting.....I will look into that, thanks :)

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:30 pm

Hi,

I am a Registered Respiratory Therapist who works in a CPAP clinic. This is a rare but known issue. There is a small connection between your sinuses and tear duct, and sometimes a bit of the air flow from your CPAP can vent out of this connection. Firstly, you need to go to an ophthalmologist so they are aware of the problem and can deal with it their way on their end. Secondly. go to your CPAP provider and ask to try another mask. Sometimes where a full face mask (like the Quattro) hits is enough to "plug" this hole. If not, then you will need to try a total face mask (the FitLife or Total Face Mask) which directs the pressure at your entire face, so it should regulate the pressure inside and outside of your eye. Hope this helps!

Emma

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:42 pm

Nice to have someone working in the field looking in :)

I never thought about the total face mask.
That might work.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Caryl
Corporal Snorer

Post by Caryl » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi Emma, thanks so much for your reply. It is good to hear that it is a known issue. I finally managed to attend the drop-in clinic at my local hospital's Respiratory Physiology outpatients yesterday, and the technician there had never heard if this reaction and suggested i see my GP about it. I will look into seeing an opthalmologist, as you suggest.

I was given a nasal mask to try yesterday, and the eye problem occurred earlier and at a lower pressure than it did with the full face mask, so maybe a total face mask would help.

Thanks again, your reply both reassured me and gave me points to look into.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:26 pm

I think the only mask that will work is the total face mask, it covers all your face and will equlise the pressure at both sides of the eye and stop this from happening.

This is what is meant by a Total Face Mask

Grabbed from Philips site.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Caryl
Corporal Snorer

Post by Caryl » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks S2S. I've been thinking about the total face mask these last few days and its making me depressed. It looks horribly hard to sleep with and I cant see it working for a side sleeper such as myself. More areas to leak as well. I cant sleep on my back so i might have to persevere with the full face.

CPAP sucks :(

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:58 pm

I couldn't do without my CPAP these days, it is my very best friend.

I use a narrow cushion to help as I sleep on my side as well, though I wake up on my back.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/text ... -70345819/
This I can put under my head and not have it sticking to far out to affect the mask (when I do use a full-faced one).
I know the Philips one looks very clumsy and claustrophobic, but if needs must.
I have seen one that was not so clumsy, more like a fireman's visor on his smoke mask.
S2S - Sleep2Snore