CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Looking for first CPAP Machine

Share your experiences with CPAP, request help, find out the latest developments ....

Looking for first CPAP Machine

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:06 am

I was diagnosed with moderate OSA overseas and the doctor suggested CPAP machine but I did not have the chance to test / buy one before I had go come back to the UK.

I am now looking to buy a machine (privately, time and convenience is more important that cost at the moment, so I will pass on the NHS), and would like some advice.

First of all, is there anywhere I can go to try out some masks? I know there are 3 general types of masks but without testing them how do I know which one I would like?

Secondly, how important is the humidifier?

I spend a lot of time moving countries and I am also an outdoor person (camping etc.), so having a machine that is super portable is quite attractive. I read about the Restmed's Air-Mini, and it looks fantastic size wise, but most reviews seem to suggest that the water free humidifier system is super noisy. Additionally, if in doubt, I was going to go for a full mask in case I end up sleeping with my mouth open (I am not claustrophobic so at least that should not be a problem) which doesn't support their humidifier system anyway.

Alternatively I was looking at the more feature full Philips Respironics DreamStation and the Resmed Airsense 10. Does anyone have any experience with either? I quite like the DreamStation because you could potentially use it without the humidifier, which would make it more compact than the Airsense, but still significantly less compact than the Air Mini.

Lastly I understand that the Air Mini only work with 3 masks. Does that mean those masks only work with the Air Mini too? And is the Air Sense similarly restricted? This could sway my decision as while I wouldn't mind having a larger unit for home use and a smaller one for travelling, I wouldn't want to have two sets of masks. If the Air Mini's mask can only be used with the Air Mini, then that is a bit of a deal breaker.

Thanks.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Looking for first CPAP Machine

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:30 pm

Best to ask ResMed themselves, I did notice that it uses 24Vdc which might be an odd choice, ok if you drive a lorry or have a boat or big RV.

ResMed (UK) Limited, HQ Building, Thomson Avenue, Harwell Campus, Didcot, OX11 0GD.
+44 (0)1235 862 997 or use the FREEPHONE number: 0800 917 7071.

If you make a machine smaller it might well be a bit noisier as there is not a lot inside the machines anyway.
Most of the inside is foam rubber that as well as holding the components in place does keep a lot of noise down.
If you make things smaller, you loos a lot of the sound proofing, so it will be a bit noisier.

I have not used one of these machines, it appears to catch the moisture on your own breath and return it to you to help with humidification.
However, I am sure I read somewhere that this was not available with a Full-faced mask..
Your mask type will be what you need, i.e. if you breath through your mouth, you will need a full faced mask, however, if you normally breath through your nose, you can use a Nasal Mask or Nasal Pillows, these just connect to your nostrils. The Nasal Pillows might irritate the inside of your nostrils when you first use it, but they get used to the pillows after a wee while. They go slightly inside the nostrils, but once you get used to them they are the easiest for most users, but they are only of use if you breath through your nose.
If buying a new machine you will need a prescription from the sleep clinic.
Where ever you buy the machine from, ask if they will maintain it and supply parts for it and the mask.
Humidifiers are needed by a lot of users as the air tends to dry out the airways,
This machine that you are thinking of would be fine for camping except it appears to run on 24Vdc, but most run on 12Vdc.
Phone ResMed and ask if this is the case, I notice it is set up to run direct off aircraft, so if you travel a lot this might be of use, though they prefer you to use a battery in flight anyway. Small portable batteries are available for hire or to buy outright.
Here is the manual if you want to read it, the size is ideal for lugging around with you if camping.
http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resme ... er_eng.pdf
Here is the link to the machine on their website http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pr ... rmini.html
There is one other thing you should consider if buying a machine, it is whether you want a CPAP or an APAP, the APAP is an automatic and this can be very handy. Also you need to know your pressure that you need, if it is not quite right, as sometimes isn't you will need to adjust it. ResMed may allow you to adjust it yourself, but that wouldn't be required with an APAP (Auto) just the low and high if required. Then the machine takes care of it.
Lastly I understand that the Air Mini only work with 3 masks. Does that mean those masks only work with the Air Mini too? And is the Air Sense similarly restricted? This could sway my decision as while I wouldn't mind having a larger unit for home use and a smaller one for travelling, I wouldn't want to have two sets of masks. If the Air Mini's mask can only be used with the Air Mini, then that is a bit of a deal breaker.

I don't think that is the case, it says that the humidification is not available on a Full-faced mask, however, I might have read it wrong! This is a question best asked of ResMed direct, Let us know what they say.
First of all, is there anywhere I can go to try out some masks?
In short I don't know as most places are not keen in letting you try them. Some manufactures have return within so many day money back offer.
Mask types? Depends how you breath, Full-faced if you breath through your mouth. Nasal or Nasal Pillows otherwise. I would try Nasal Pillows as I found them far easier to get on with, however, I had to learn how to breath through my mouth all the time. Nasal and Nasal Pillows can both cause air to leak out of your mouth, however, it might not be a problem if you are not on a high pressure. Take note that some machines have to be set up for the mask type these days. Especially if it is an APAP.
Secondly, how important is the humidifier?
If you are lucky you might not need one, however, most users find they need one. It is difficult to use one when camping due to them being 240Vac and that is not safe when camping in a tent. The machine you are thinking of if Nasal Pillows or Nasal mask should get round that problem as you shouldn't need one according to ResMed.
I spend a lot of time moving countries and I am also an outdoor person (camping etc.), so having a machine that is super portable is quite attractive. I read about the ResMed's Air-Mini, and it looks fantastic size wise, but most reviews seem to suggest that the water free humidifier system is super noisy.
There are other quite portable machines around. Check this machine can run on 12Vdc as this appears to run on 24Vdc?
Some people use tape over their mouths, though I wouldn't recommend it. Otherwise the machine you are thinking of would be ideal.for you camping, check with ResMed above. Email: sleep@resmed.co.uk.
Alternatively I was looking at the more feature full Philips Respironics DreamStation and the Resmed Airsense 10. Does anyone have any experience with either? I quite like the DreamStation because you could potentially use it without the humidifier, which would make it more compact than the Airsense, but still significantly less compact than the Air Mini.
Nothing wrong with any of them, but the mask has mixed reviews, it would depend if it suits you or not, everyone has a different shaped face.
Have a look through LeftyLankys YouTube videos for what he say about masks and machines, he is a Sleep Tech, so has no intrest in selling you the mask or machine, however, it is his views of masks and machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/TheLankyLefty27/videos
Lastly I understand that the Air Mini only work with 3 masks. Does that mean those masks only work with the Air Mini too?
It might be that the system they use can only work with Nasal Masks, this might be only advisory as I think it captures the moisture from your own breath to give you the humidity, this would not be recommended with a Full-faced mask for obvious reasons. The tubing size might be smaller, these are questions you would need to ask ResMed.
When you are on the phone ask if you can try some masks as well.

Hope I have been of some help, even if it is not a huge help?
S2S - Sleep2Snore