CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Air Security (Travelling with CPAP)

Share your experiences with CPAP, request help, find out the latest developments ....
Bill Bolton

Re: Air Security (Travelling with CPAP)

Post by Bill Bolton » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:06 am

Alsacienne wrote:I am flying on Friday 13th January...
I hope your flight went well!

I might have something to report on South American air travel later in the year......

Cheers,

Bill

Alsacienne
General Snorer

Post by Alsacienne » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:38 am

Happy New Year Bill! Great to see you posting.

I had no problem using my CPAP on both my BA flights to Nairobi, and got 4.5 hours useful sleep out of my battery on the return ... before it ran out!

I'm at 14 pressure ... would love to hear of a battery that would give me longer time at this level. Any suggestions folks?

Alsacienne
General Snorer

Post by Alsacienne » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:09 am

For information ... from Ryanair's website's terms and conditions

Can I carry and use a Respiratory Personal Device (RPD) on board?

Respiratory Personal Device (RPD)

Carriage of a Respiratory Personal Device:

Assistive or non-oxygen generating support devices such as a respirator, nebulizer, ventilator, CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) or BiPap machine may be carried in the cabin of the aircraft without prior approval provided the item is within the cabin baggage dimensions. Passengers wishing to carry an RPD in addition to their baggage allowance (either checked and cabin) should obtain a Medical Equipment Baggage Waiver letter by calling the Special Assistance line. This waiver letter must be presented at the bag drop desk or at the boarding gate if travelling with no checked baggage.

Use of a Respiratory Personal Device during Flight:

CPAP machines are not permitted for use on board. If you wish to use an other type of RPD such as a respirator or nebulizer during your flight please contact our Special Assistance line to obtain prior approval, for the use onboard you will be required to complete a “Fit to fly form” which will be sent to the passenger once the requirement has been notified to our Special Assistance Line. This completed “Fit to fly form” must be returned to Ryanair between 14 up to 2 days prior to travel for validation. The validated “Fit to fly form” must be carried by the passenger on all flights and produced to our cabin crew on boarding the aircraft.

Some devices including but not limited to CPAP machines may not be suitable for inflight use and if you are unsure please contact the Special Assistance line

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Where have Ryanair hidden the extra charge?
Its free :shock: never, its Ryanair we are talking about here! :?
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Alsacienne
General Snorer

Post by Alsacienne » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:26 am

If you read the Ryanair terms and conditions very careful you will find that CPAP machines get a mention.

On another holiday forum site that I frequent, questions were being asked about carriage of CPAP machines with Ryanair. This is the information that surfaced ....

You need to phone the Special Assistance line ... and when they answer you will need to provide your flight details, and also the following 'vital statistics' - CPAP make, model number, overall weight and overall case dimensions. They will then generate a letter which will be valid for all flights for 6 months from the date of issue AND they'll require your passport number and date of expiry.

So get everything prepared BEFORE you phone ...

Butterfly
Major Snorer

Post by Butterfly » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Always ring or email the airline.... I don't think they ever refuse if you do so.

nickyjsmth

Post by nickyjsmth » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:45 pm

I've flown a few times with mine, i have a letter from my sleep clinic which stays in the machine case. I've only ever been asked about it when getting on an easy jet plane as it was luggage bag number 2, once I opened it and they saw it they where fine. No other airline has even questioned it but I haven't flown Ryanair yet.... Mind you I'd sue for discrimination or my human rights ! If they stopped me, hahaha.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:27 am

Hi All,

I am new to this group.

I have recently been given a CPAP machine along with an official letter from the Hospital stating I can and must take the machine on board with me as extra hand luggage. I also telephoned the Airline who confirmed this, it also states it on their web site, but to be extra sure I have written to them so at least, hopefully, I will have a letter from them as well.

Properly overreacting but thats me.

Alsacienne
General Snorer

Post by Alsacienne » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:54 pm

If you have a ResMed xPAP machine, you may find it helpful to download the following letter and carry it with you http://www.resmed.com/assets/documents/ ... r_eng3.pdf

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:31 pm

Guest wrote:Hi All,

I am new to this group.

I have recently been given a CPAP machine along with an official letter from the Hospital stating I can and must take the machine on board with me as extra hand luggage. I also telephoned the Airline who confirmed this, it also states it on their web site, but to be extra sure I have written to them so at least, hopefully, I will have a letter from them as well.

Properly overreacting but thats me.
Yes, get a letter from the airline, some can be funny if they do not have a record of you telling them about the CPAP machine and that you have told them and have permission to take it on board.
Take a long extension cable with you as well, does not need to be a heavy duty but two sockets are a must so you can charge your phone as well etc,.
Airport security used to be the biggest problem, but they see these machines a lot now, but they may ask you to take the contents out just to make sure their is nothing else in the bag.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

BobJacob
Private Snorer

Post by BobJacob » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:39 pm

Thanks! Was looking for some advice too! :)

Guest12

Post by Guest12 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:09 am

hi I have a CPAP machine and travel,mainly to the U.S. I notified airline,United,and they made a note on my account no need for letter etc. they also said I can carry it as additional item of hand luggage. In my experience it helps to contact airline directly in these cases rather than booing agent or clerk.

Alsacienne
General Snorer

Post by Alsacienne » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:47 pm

In my experience it helps to contact airline directly in these cases rather than booing agent or clerk.
Every time. The booking agent or clerk has no jurisdiction. Just the airline, and only the airline.

eddie775
Private Snorer

Post by eddie775 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:43 am

Three weeks ago I travelled KLM to Amsterdam and then Delta from Amsterdam to Seattle Washington USA. I was not asked for my hospital letter and the airports didn't ask me to take the machine out of the bag. I carried the ResMed machine in its bag onboard together with my laptop bag - I had to remove my laptop. On the return journey from the USA via Amsterdam to UK again I wasn't asked anything. I think they are all used to these machines.

Eddie

becijane1886
Private Snorer

Post by becijane1886 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:30 am

Can anyone help me I am new to cpap and I'm away this week and I'm wondering what sort of extention I can take with me to plug on machine.. For example don't ant to take white 4 bar ... any idea