CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Air Security (Travelling with CPAP)

Share your experiences with CPAP, request help, find out the latest developments ....
Alsacienne
General Snorer

Re: Air Security (Travelling with CPAP)

Post by Alsacienne » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:47 am

If there isn't a socket by the bed in the hotel then I go downstairs to reception and ask for the loan of an extension lead.

My experience is that there isn't usually one available, and I have been charged a deposit of £10 in certain UK chain hotels to make sure I don't run off with it!

I play safe, and take my own ...........

vache-qui-rit

Post by vache-qui-rit » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:01 pm

Alsacienne wrote: My experience is that there isn't usually one available, and I have been charged a deposit of £10 in certain UK chain hotels to make sure I don't run off with it!

I play safe, and take my own ...........

I've thought about this, but honestly I've never found a hotel where there isn't one available, and I've never been charged. I try and travel very light and carrying an extension lead just doesn't fit with my travel philosophy.

Having said that, I don't use UK chain hotels (most of my travelling is outside the UK).

Bill Bolton

Post by Bill Bolton » Thu May 21, 2009 10:32 am

The FAA in the USA has issued new regulations this month which impact the use of CPAP machine on flights covered by FAA regulations....

http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation ... o09006.pdf

The relevant part for CPAP users is this...
  • B. Other Respiratory Devices. All POC [Portable Oxygen Concentrators] manufacturers are knowledgeable regarding aviation requirements for POCs . POCs are in common use on air carriers. All currently FAA-approved POCs meet FAA requirements for M-PEDs.

However, this is not the case for other respiratory assistive devices (ventilators, respirators and CPAP machines). For other devices that have not been tested by the manufacturer to meet the emission levels in the RTCA standard, air carriers can continue to use the current guidance in AC 91.21-1. In many situations, this requires case-by-case testing of a particular device and a determination by the air carrier that the device can be operated safely on their aircraft.
Exactly what the implications of this are will take some time to become fully apparent.

QANTAS already has a published list that appears to appropriate for satisfying AC 91.21-1.....

http://www.qantas.com.au/infodetail/fly ... diform.pdf

... however I've never seen a similar list published by other airlines that operate into FAA regulatory regions.

Cheers,

Bill

leng

Post by leng » Thu May 21, 2009 4:38 pm

Thanks for that very usefull info Bill, probably Dan could follow it up more especialy if it comes into force across in UK. As a nusre the bit of axygen concentration level has been known for sometime, that is why people with copd or other more serious respiratory problems may need medical clearance prior to flying.

Ironic I have just returned from the states each time it was taken to pieces and away from normal screening tables to be checked for fumes etc. Also AA staff needed reasurance I was not going to use it in flight. Although BA suggested when booking it was not a problem, I did not have a power point close by, and jsut could not be bothered with the hassle, so my wife and daughter remained alert to my need, in the event of my airway closing.

But being we all are well able to do resus, it was not a problem.

Bill Bolton

Post by Bill Bolton » Tue May 26, 2009 12:42 am

I'm off to the US on Friday, travelling via LAX, DFW and ATL airports and flying with QANTAS and American Airlines. I'll report on my experiences this time around when I get back in a couple of weeks time.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Bolton

Post by Bill Bolton » Sat May 30, 2009 4:32 am

For the first time ever, yesterday I was asked to remove my S8 flow generator and humdifier from the Resmed carry bag, for separate image scanning, when departing for LAX through the International terminal at Sydney Kingsford Smith airport.

Previously they've been happy to let it go through in the bag.

I was fortunate in being able to use frequent flyer point to get an upgrade to Business Class on a new Airbus A380 for the flight to Los Angeles. There are 120V AC mains power sockets at each Business class seat in the QANTAS A380 configuration, and I was able to use my S8 (without humidifer) from the mains socket without any problems.... apart from the flight arriving ~4 hours late at LAX (1pm arrival instead of a 9am arrival) and disrupting my planned routine for minimising jet-lag for this trip!

Fortunately I had planned to overnight in Los Angeles anyway, so for me the delay was really just an inconvenience, but for those making same-day connections through LAX, a delay of that magnitude was a major problem, with many missing once-a-day connections and having an unplanned overnight stay in Los Angeles (at the airline's expense).

Tomorrow morning I'll find out what the current state of play is at LAX domestic departures, and DFW domestic departures, in terms of CPAP scanning.

Cheers,

Bill
Last edited by Bill Bolton on Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alsacienne
General Snorer

Post by Alsacienne » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:27 pm

get an upgrade to Business Class on a new Airbus A380 for the flight to Los Angeles
OH WOW!! I am SO jealous!!!

Thank you so much for keeping us posted. I flew GVA-LTN-GVA last week and no one was interested in looking at it, but it had to be taken out of my handluggage and passed through the scanner separately.

I am flying BSL-LCY-BSL next week and will keep you posted if anything unusual occurs. Note that I always 'declare' it to the scanning officers before it passes through the machine.

Bill Bolton

Post by Bill Bolton » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:36 am

At the domestic American Airlines terminal for Los Angeles International my CPAP machine and Humidifier were "swiped" for chemical residue analysis.

At the domestic terminal for Altlanta Hartsfield airport my CPAP machine was "swiped" but I was told I could put the Humidifier back in the carry bag.

At the Tom Bradley (International) terminal at Los Angeles International airport both the CPAP machine and Humidifier were "swiped".

The return LAX-SYD flight on QANTAS was on a 747-400, and again I was fortunate in being able to use frequent flyer points to get a Business Class upgrade.... the downturn in International air travel is great in terms of getting much better access to seat upgrades! I ran my S8 using the at-seat mains power socket at my seat for a while, but they were having problems with the entertainment system in Business Class on the upper deck, and every time they needed to restart it, the at-seat 120V mains power would be interrupted for several minutes. So after that happened twice, I switched over to using my 12V battery packs.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Bolton

Post by Bill Bolton » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:04 am

My latest international trip has been to East Timor. There were no problems at all with security screening on my xPAP kit at either DRW (Darwin) airport, where the security check was thorough, or at DLI (Dili) airport where it was cursory at best.

The degree of unreliablity in 240V AC mains power retriculation in East Timor meant that my battery packs got a good workout on several nights, with the only "gotcha" being in Maubise, where the mains power was only on for under 4 hours a day, so I wasn't able to fully recharge both battery packs during that time.

On the other hand, I also got to see some very serious battery technology solutions at work in some places. The hotel we stayed at in Viqueque had its own small hydro power plant (based on a low cost but effective New Zealand techology solution, using washing machine parts) which continuously charged up a substantial battery bank, which in turn drove sine wave inverters to provide 240v AC power within the hotel building.

Cheers,

Bill

bobdrury@rocketmail.com

Post by bobdrury@rocketmail.com » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:51 pm

I,ve been using a CPAP machine for 10 years and flying to Europe about 3 times a year,have only been stopped at Leeds Bradford and had the machine put through seperate in the x-ray,stopped once in Spain but allowed to pass with no problem

Alsacienne
General Snorer

Post by Alsacienne » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:15 pm

It looks as if I will have to go to the US urgently in the next few weeks.

I am now having problems with using my CPAP inflight even if there are power points .... both NorthWest/Delta and Air France have told me that I may not use mains power for this, but AF will let me bring a battery pack with the machine to use it. I'm still waiting for NW/Delta to say if I can use a dry battery.

Anyone know what BA's policy is on this ..... as you may remember I had a run in with them two years ago because they were paranoid after the shoe bomber had been caught.

Apparently this is an international aviation law that came into force 1 August 2009 .............................

so Bill, or any other longdistance CPAP flyer, what's the get around it position?!!

leng

Post by leng » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:21 am

Hi alsa I asked ba when I went to usa in spring, I was told I must upgrade, at a cost of £1000 and it must be approved before date of travel, as it is all about quantity of persons using lap tops and other external power systems in flight. I am aware the economy class does not have power adaptors, but the buisness clsss does.

In the end, I chose an early flight with an extra day to lift my oxygen levels up on arival, and on returning, just stayed awake or dosed, having a night flight. ironic with contant use of cpap, my throat muscles and tissue seems less of a problem, and as my wife noticed I snored much less than expected, and the muzzy head feelings were less evident than expected, the clinic also suggested that may be the case, something on the lines as the body gradualy healing itself to a safer level.

Alsacienne
General Snorer

Post by Alsacienne » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:51 am

Thanks Leng!

I spoke with BA because the website reply was honest enough to tell me that they couldn't answer this and asked me to ring a call centre.

The lady was extremely nice, given that it was very early (8 am in Paris!!) and spent some time checking. She said that I could use my CPAP in flight ... and either fly WT+ which is another 500€ per person approx when compared to WT or fly WT and use my battery. I'm now doing the maths!!

Thanks so much for your help and especially for the explanation re the body's coping without CPAP for a night. WT passengers need to prepare for a snoring spectacular (!!!!) but as they are supposed to be showing Star Trek on the return leg, perhaps this will spur me into keeping awake ... it hasn't appeared in VO with subtitles over here yet, and I think I'll have enough trouble coping with adjusting to the 'young' characters without their 'speaking foreign' too! (PS I'm not talking Romulan or Klingon here!!)

leng

Post by leng » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:18 pm

I fondly remember our return journey from chicago, all seats in wc full and giving uprgrades, I suggested my issue with cpap and family commitments, a polite reply as I do not fit their requirements. The noise issue of snoring, my wife said I snored less than expected, but gave a lighter relief from the bigger bully infront of her with seat back in full recline full length of journey, complaining he could not eat his food, as there was not enough space, and asked if there was table and chairs he could use.

I don't think he came from this planet though!

kimberlina

Post by kimberlina » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:32 pm

Just got back from a week in Rome. At Gatwick, I forgot that it was a computer so just gave the security people the bag and said it was medical equipment. They made me take it out and it was searched. They asked me questions about it but I think they just wanted to check it wasn't a defibulator.

Coming back, a woman took me aside and ran a hand a hand held scanner through the bag. It was very clever, she inserted a chip thing from the scanner into a computer which obviously said what it was and I was free to go.

Not too bad and it didn't take long.

K