CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

It's time to speak out

Share your experiences with CPAP, request help, find out the latest developments ....
ceejayblue
Major Snorer

Re: It's time to speak out

Post by ceejayblue » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:29 pm

You need to go back to your sleep clinic asap and get them to adjust the settings, you shoudn't be having any tiredness or headaches if you are using the machine correctly.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:47 pm

Guest wrote:hi everybody
I have been using a resmed mask and machine for some years and have felt no benifit from it at all.I still find myself falling to sleep during the day and wake with a headache in the mornings has anybody else experiencing this.

Regards Richard
Hi Richard,
You have not told us the type of machine and mask you use (full-faced, Nasal, Nasal Pillows, other) and if you are having any problems using it?
If you are not getting any benefit from its use, there must be a problem somewhere.
Do you know what pressure your machine is set at and have you discussed it with the Sleep Clinic?

S2S
S2S - Sleep2Snore

DeenJai
Sergeant Snorer

Post by DeenJai » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:46 pm

Hi
I'm a patient at BRI in Bristol and I found it hard to get issues sorted especially the issue with snoring they arent interested at all. I have an APAP machine its the philips remstar system one with A flex+
Dee

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:17 pm

It may be that an APAP machine will not stop you snoring while it is waiting for you to have an event.
I don't know what your prescribed pressure is, but an APAP should adjust to your needs unless it has been capped.
It might be worth talking to the Sleep Nurse about the problems you are still having.
You are right that most Sleep Clinics are not concerned about you snoring, their job is to stop you from having events where you can't breath due to your throat closing causing you not to breath. Though they are usually connected, snoring can be caused by vocal cords vibrating.
I would ask if the upper pressure has been capped, if not explain that you are still tired during the day and falling asleep, also that you wake up with headaches. You could ask them to set the machine to run in CPAP mode to see if that helps you, though they would need to know what pressure you need.
The machine will take a bit of getting used to in CPAP mode as the pressure is high all the time, but it might just work for you.
It might even stop you snoring, but no promises on that one.
Contact the Sleep Nurse and be patient, they will be busy and most do not use machines themselves, so it may take a bit of time to get your point across to them. Best make an appointment with the Sleep Nurse and have a word with them. They are there to help you and given the chance will, but you have to keep calm and be patient with them. Try what they suggest, if after a week or so there is no improvement, get back to them again and explain what is happening to you.
When I first started down this road it appeared no one wanted to help and it did appear that they had given you a machine, so it was time to go away and use it. However, the mare I contacted them the more it came across that they did want to help, but they were just so busy they could hardly cope.
So do give your clinic a chance and talk to them. The consultant will be very busy, so contact the Sleep Nurse first to see what advice they give you, if you still find you are struggling get back to them again. They want to see it working for you as well, there is no point in them being there if it does not work for their patients. It might appear they do not want to help, but they will try to help, but they do need your feedback. If you don't contact them if you have a problem, they will assume you do not have a problem. They will only find out at an annual check up and only if you tell them.
Don't delay, contact them today.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Solly
Corporal Snorer

Post by Solly » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:22 pm

In my opinion you are being over generous in your remarks concerning Sleep Nurses.

After a drip feed of equipment, mine could not handle the fact that I was waking in the early hours every morning, he clearly had not intention of investigating the problem offering me an appointment in 6 weeks or 52 weeks.
He was clearly uninterested, and was in our opinion working from a set script which he had no intention of deviating from.

By a circular route I managed to see who I was told was the senior Sleep Nurse, this person were little better than the first one, I gave up complaining as I was clearly not getting anywhere.

Treatment? abysmal from all concerned.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:40 am

That's a shame. A lot of it is down to your post code and the lottery that goes with it.
Could you not ask to be referred elsewhere?
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Solly
Corporal Snorer

Post by Solly » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:42 pm

In desperation & of course having to go through my GP I got a private consultation with a so called expert.

Sadly and foolishly I did not do my research and the private consultation turned out to be with the head honcho of the department that I believed was giving me such an abysmal service, it was like something out of Monty Python, clearly there was no way he was going to criticise anyone in his department.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:17 pm

Oh dear, it just gets worse. :?
S2S - Sleep2Snore