CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

The Diary of a Mouth Breather

Keep a diary here. Everyone can read your post ... it is _not_ private. Post things you feel may be useful for others to read.
The Living Dead
Sergeant Snorer

The Diary of a Mouth Breather

Post by The Living Dead » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:00 am

I broke my nose when I was 9. Since then I have been mouth breathing. My GP says that is a moot point. He hasn't read Jim Horne's website:

"For leaner individuals, other factors contributing to OSA include a small lower jaw that pushes the tongue backwards, enlarged tonsils, a deformed palate, and an excess of folds in the mucous membrane that lie on either side of the oropharynx. A blocked nose due to a cold, chronic catarrh, nasal polyps (growths), or a previously broken nose (rugby players and boxers are particularly prone to this) cause people to sleep with the mouth open, leading to the effects just mentioned."

I have just about all of the above. And I know that I wake choking on my tongue:

"Normally, we sleep with mouth shut, which clamps the tongue to the roof of the mouth, thus stopping the tongue slipping back and further obstructing the throat. Sleeping with the mouth open allows the tongue to move back to further reduce the sagging airway, causing these floppy bits to vibrate loudly with each inhalation, and the result is snoring."

1974 - taken to GP six months after breaking aforementioned nose beacuse I couldn't breathe through it- he said to wait till I was 18
1975 - became a snorer
1983 - GP said it was too late to do anything with nose
1992 - septum straightened privately while working in Germany - still couldn't breathe through nose
2005 - referral to ENT because of blocked nose - MRI scan showed nerves of brain and hearing normal. Nose still blocked.
2010 - first sought help from GP for poor sleep
2011 - first Temazepam prescription - I take 1.25mg about twice a week, depending on work
until 2014 - many appointments with 8 GP's for various seemingly unconnected ailments
Feb. 2014 - three S's test again by GP, looked it up and discovered OSA
Sept. 2014 - new GP, no mention of OSA in my record, he flipped, I flipped - result: ENT referral
Oct. 2014 - full blood count ok, thyroid, anaemia, "lifestyle" excluded, BMI 22 - sleep study referral
Jan. 2015 - GP doubled Temazepam dose without telling me

Have date for sleep study - 16th/17th February. Nothing from ENT.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: The Diary of a Mouth Breather

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:15 pm

I would have done the second paragraph in bold, still not to late.
1974 - taken to GP six months after breaking aforementioned nose beacuse I couldn't breathe through it- he said to wait till I was 18
Strange advice!

Good luck with the Sleep Study :)
S2S - Sleep2Snore

The Living Dead
Sergeant Snorer

Post by The Living Dead » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:35 pm

Thanks to you in the snowy north from the snow-ish south...

This forum has been a godsend

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:06 am

See the other post I made in another thread about tongue holding suction device. HERE
It just might help you.

Oh, it only started to snow with us last night and we only have an inch, however it has started to build up, so I don't know what I will wake up to! It is a right hum dinger just now :shock:

The web site of the manufacturer is

aveoTSD
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:07 am

videos

Also have a look at this guys you tube page (link below), click the "read more" below his video of each one he reviews to see what he has to say,

provisualpresents

His last video was two years ago so I don't know what has happened to him.

Keep in mind he could still be trying to sell you something!
S2S - Sleep2Snore