Find the type of snorer you are.
CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

A voyage of discovery, by Captain CPAP !.

Keep a diary here. Everyone can read your post ... it is _not_ private. Post things you feel may be useful for others to read.
Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Re: A voyage of discovery, by Captain CPAP !.

Post by Mr Mouse » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:40 pm

When I woke up Saturday morning my nostrils were really sore, so I decided to switch back again to the other full face mask the one that completely covers the mouth & nose.

I will just have to find a way round it resting on the bridge of my nose & causing sores, maybe a piece of plaster or surgical tape ?. The other problem is the dreaded leak issues, but I have almost eradicated these by tightening the straps up really tight. I have found this type of mask easier to breath with than the one with the nasal pillows, will see how I get on with it again.

Gerry. :(

Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Post by Mr Mouse » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:12 am

Hi Nuneatonman,

It seems that the question of which mask is best is rather a tricky one isn't it ?, my sleep clinic originally issued me with the quatro full face mask & initially I got on very well with it. But after a few days it seemed to be sitting on the bridge of my nose & was causing me some discomfort, I had red marks & the area was sore for the rest of the day after getting up.

I contacted my sleep clinic (Papworth) & they said come in & pick up another mask, that's when I got to try out the Liberty mask with the nasal pillows. But it seems that for me both types are proving to be problematic, I must admit the Liberty does seem to restrict my breathing. Mine came with small medium & large pillows, the medium sized ones seemed to work best for me.

Anyway having struggled with both types I have reverted back to the quatro as I can breath much easier with it, I will continue to try & minimize air leak problems & persevere with the quatro.

Are there any other types of mask worth trying ?.

Gerry. :)

Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Post by Mr Mouse » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi Nuneatonman,

I will certainly ask about this mask when I go back to Papworth in May, getting a good nights sleep without any interruptions is so important & my first few nights on cpap were just that. But its not very often I don't wake up at some point during the night with a bit of a leak from the mask, which is both annoying & sleep disruptive.

Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Post by Mr Mouse » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Well for the past few nights I have managed without any leaks to the mask seal, I have tried the following 3 solutions but all at the same time so I'm not sure exactly what cured it.

1, Wash my face just before going to bed.
2, Clean the mask seal with antibacterial cleaner.
3, Place the mask slightly higher up on my face so that the bottom part of the seal is just below my lower lip.

Perhaps its a combination of all 3 but it seems to be working at the moment, next I'm tempted to try loosening off the straps a little.

Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Post by Mr Mouse » Thu May 02, 2013 10:02 am

Still using the full face mask but not having any leak issues at the moment, but I do have to have it pretty tight on the straps though to achieve this.

Up until a couple of nights ago I was still getting the sore red marks on the bridge of my nose, I realized that the mask was sitting very high. The bottom of it was only just below my lower lip, so the past couple of nights I have made sure it sits lower than this.

I have had it sitting in the midway between my lower lip & my chin, it seems to sit quite naturally there & for the moment it seems to have stopped the bridge of my nose issues.

Long may it remain so !.

Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Post by Mr Mouse » Mon May 06, 2013 10:01 am

Okay I'm not really sure what's going on now, as the past couple of nights I have got the problem back with the mask sitting on the bridge of my nose again.

It's leaving a red mark that's a bit smaller than before, but it's still a bit sore though.

I'm due back at the sleep clinic in a couple of weeks time, I will have to discuss this with them.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon May 06, 2013 7:07 pm

Mr Mouse wrote:When I woke up Saturday morning my nostrils were really sore, so I decided to switch back again to the other full face mask the one that completely covers the mouth & nose.

Gerry. :(
That happened to me as well, not all Nasal Pillows I can get on with either, I need to be able to turn them (the ones that are in a fixed position don't work for me) I need to turn them independently of each other.

Do keep trying, my nostrils complained for a long time before they settled down.
Some nights at the start it was a thought to put them on, but I persisted and now they are fine with them. :)

Not everyone will get on with them, but if you can they are so easy to use and if going away are a lot easier to pack.

S2S
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Post by Mr Mouse » Tue May 07, 2013 3:03 pm

Hi S2S,

I will stick with my full face mask for the moment, mainly because I find it easier to breath more freely than with the nasal pillow type.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue May 07, 2013 7:10 pm

That's fine, no two people are the same.
If you tighten Nasal Pillows to tight they choke of the air they are supposed to deliver :?

If the mask you use suits you, stick with it :)
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Post by Mr Mouse » Fri May 17, 2013 12:58 pm

I have been fiddling around with the mask again, this time I backed off the adjuster thingie that sits above the bridge of the nose. This had the effect of moving the top of the mask away from my face, it seems to help a bit. Previously I had this set to bring the mask as close to my face as possible, in order to try & achieve a good seal. I think its now set about half way, but haven't bothered to count the turns though.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri May 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Sometimes it just comes down to trial and error. :)
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Post by Mr Mouse » Fri May 17, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi S2S,

Yeah I know what you mean, although after 8 weeks I'd hopped I might have got it right by now.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri May 17, 2013 3:31 pm

:lol: Yes, but I still have not got it right in 18 years, just got it a lot better :)

S2S
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Post by Mr Mouse » Sat May 18, 2013 10:18 am

Hi S2S,

I have to go back to Papworth this week & have quite a few questions for them, some of which will be mask related amongst other things.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sat May 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Write them all down, it is always the question you mean to ask that you forget.
Trust me, or they side track you without really answering it properly.
If you write it down it is still on the bit of paper to remind you.
S2S - Sleep2Snore