Find the type of snorer you are.
CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

A voyage of discovery, by Captain CPAP !.

Keep a diary here. Everyone can read your post ... it is _not_ private. Post things you feel may be useful for others to read.
Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Re: A voyage of discovery, by Captain CPAP !.

Post by Mr Mouse » Sun May 19, 2013 9:36 am

Hi S2S,

That was my plan to go with a list of questions, I will forget something otherwise for sure.

Gerry. :)

Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Post by Mr Mouse » Wed May 22, 2013 11:56 am

Had my first visit to Papworth this morning & it was just to pick up an oxiometer, so will wear it tonight then take it back tomorrow morning, they were to busy to answer any of my questions today as they were a nurse down. The poor lass I saw was trying to do 2 jobs, she said I could ask my questions tomorrow when they serviced my cpap machine.

Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Post by Mr Mouse » Thu May 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Had my 2nd appointment this morning & was shown the oxiometer readings, nurse said they were really pleased with my readings & my ahi was now down to 0.93 when I asked if that was good she said normal would be 5.

I was issued with a humidifier to try & combat my dry mouth issues & a new Resmed Quattro FX mask to try & get round my mask sealing & sore nose bridge issues.

I was even given a spare filter as well as having a new one fitted, I was told that leads are available to plug the machine into the 12 Volt car socket but that I would have to buy one of these myself anyone got a spare or unused one of these they no longer need for a Resmed S9 ?.

I need to go back in 3 months time so they can check on my progress, to see how I'm getting on with the humidifier & new mask.

Gerry. :D

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu May 23, 2013 4:53 pm

Make sure you get a proper fused lead for it as some of these machines use strange polarities and plugging it in wrong will kill it.
You could make one up if you knew what you were doing, but for most users, just buy one, it's a lot safer.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Post by Mr Mouse » Thu May 23, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi S2S,

I could certainly make one up if I could find the supply spec & pin out of the socket, as I have qualifications in mechanical engineering & electronics servicing. I haven't looked to see how common the plug on the supply lead is yet, but if they are not very expensive I might just buy one.

Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Post by Mr Mouse » Fri May 24, 2013 10:42 am

Well I started another cruise on the good ship cpap last night, it was my first time with a humidifier & just to confuse things further a new mask type as well.

The mask is the Resmed Quattro FX as suggested elsewhere by Nuneatonman as a possibility, I tried it on as set up by the nurse at the sleep clinic & it leaked air into my eyes immediately on the low start up pressure of 4. So straight away I was back to tightening up straps to try & resolve the issue, not wishing to go mad I was awoken during the night by air getting into my eyes. I had found that with my last mask this was mainly due to facial muscle relaxation, which can be mostly cured with a short burst of Gurning rather than more strap adjustments.

My humidifier was set to its lowest setting of 2 by the nurse at the sleep clinic, she advised me to give this a go for a week to see how I get on. she showed me how to adjust the machine in case I need to increase the humidity, I seemed to be very conscious of these changes & didn't get my best nights sleep ever ! no surprise there then.

However the machine was in use for just over 7 hours, during this time the humidifier used up half of its water. I must say my mouth wasn't bone dry which is good but I may well end up increasing the humidity level at the end of the week, but we will see.

I actually fitted the SD card as well yesterday so I can start recording data, just need to go off & find the software mentioned elsewhere on here so I can view it at some point. is there a time scale involved for doing this ?, does it segment the data into 30 day periods ?.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri May 24, 2013 2:06 pm

I would have set it mid range and worked up or down from there.
However, a new mask as well might take a bit of getting used to, not so much the humidifier but the mask.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Post by Mr Mouse » Fri May 24, 2013 2:23 pm

Sleep2Snore wrote:I would have set it mid range and worked up or down from there.
However, a new mask as well might take a bit of getting used to, not so much the humidifier but the mask.
Hi S2S,

I think the nurse said it goes up to 6 so midway would be 4 if its a linear scale, her logic was that the lower the setting the longer the water would last (overnight that is) & you were more likely to avoid condensation problems in the supply tube on lower humidity settings. So I will go with her advice, but it will be interesting to see where it ends up though.

Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Post by Mr Mouse » Sat May 25, 2013 4:14 pm

Had to tighten the straps on the mask again last night, but at least this stopped it from leaking at all over night which has to be a good thing. This mask (Resmed Quattro FX) isn't leaving a mark on the bridge of my nose which is great, only time will tell if this is the mask for me.

Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Post by Mr Mouse » Mon May 27, 2013 9:47 am

Not sure what was going on last night as I woke up several times with the mask leaking, perhaps the straps have relaxed a bit I just don't know.

It was very disappointing as I was expecting a good nights sleep after a long day, I had driven up to lancashire & back a trip of over 400 miles in just under 8 hours to pick up my latest project.

I couldn't have done that just 12 weeks ago before I started my treatment.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon May 27, 2013 9:24 pm

Shows it's working for you even though the new mask is not just quite right yet.
I'm sure you will master it, if not you still have the old one.

Is it a Bike project?
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Post by Mr Mouse » Mon May 27, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi S2S,

Yes you guessed correctly it's another Royal Enfield, its a bit of a jigsaw this one the only things in 1 piece are the engine & the gearbox. But it was a bit of a bargain so I decided it was worth the journey, trouble is there is already another project on the hydraulic workbench already.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon May 27, 2013 10:53 pm

Hi Gerry,

I had a few British Bikes I wish I had kept, they would be worth a bit now.

BSA, Triumph, Velo', Frances Burnett, Aerial 4, last but not least, a chopperised Triumph with all the chrome and American made forks. Every single one had an oil leak, I think it comes with the territory. I think I had a Norton and one point, but for the life of me I can't remember the machine, if I remember it had no springs at the back. Sure it was a single cylinder?

I'm not as old as the bikes I drove by the way :lol:
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Post by Mr Mouse » Tue May 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Hi S2S,

My current stable of machines is as follows, 1977 Moto Guzzi Mk1 LeMans, 1939 BSA M23 Silver Star, 1990 350 Classic Royal Enfield, 1996 500 Classic Royal Enfield, 1937 M23 Empire Star (twin port head), 1990 350 Classic Royal Enfield Diesel conversion (current project), 2006 350 Classic Royal Enfield street scrambler project (picked it up on Sunday).

Plenty there to keep me busy for a while, then there's my kit car (Lomax 3 wheeler) well I couldn't afford a Morgan which is nearly finished.

Mr Mouse
Major Snorer

Post by Mr Mouse » Wed May 29, 2013 9:13 pm

Well I went to bed last night around midnight & all was going well until I was awoken just after 6am by a massive leak out of the top of my mask, not sure what happened there ?.

Gerry. :(