CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

My Story

If you have a story of success (or failure), then post it here for others to read.
Justyn

My Story

Post by Justyn » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:10 am

Today, I became a hosehead :)
I suppose my story is quite typical - though I think mostly my OSA was undiagnosed for 15 years or so (My snoring was quite legendary, and my wife used to record it - Just to show me how bad it could be).

Id put down the weight gain to less activity in general - a desk job mostly, or travelling between meetings. Id put down the quite rapid weight gain (and shooting from a 38 waist to 42 in a few months) .Id put down the feeling of exhaustion, grumpiness and general "oh well I will leave it" to the weight gain.

Then something happened. I was on a train, heading for London, when a guy sat next to me. I did my usual trick of falling asleep, and was quite used to a few sniggers when I woke up - I new I had been snoring again.. The guy got up to leave and then came back to talk to me..

"Er do you have a minute", he said quite sheepishly
"Sure?" I said.

He went on to explain he was an ENT surgeon, and thought I should know I had a probable Sleep Apnoea. He explained what it was, and some pretty stark facts on what can happen if its left untreated.

He reckoned " My AHI is over 30, just by his timing on his watch"

He then left.
Well, to be honest, I felt I had met the grim reaper. I went to my meeting but really at that point, decided I would do something about this..

Went to the doctor, she was great, referred me to the hospital, which was fine.
Then she told me I couldnt drive. Not much fun for a guy who travels to customers a lot.
So i informed work (who were great), and BUPA (Who didnt treat Sleep disorders). My advice is to avoid BUPA - waste of cash, I only ever needed them this once.

So I was "stuck" with the NHS. In reality, this was a great experience -
About 4 weeks for an appointment, then a sleep study with a pulse oximiter.
Showed about 45 episodes in an hour

Yesterday, I collected my CPAP machine. Brand new. Tried it out last night.
Okay its early days, but I slept 5 hours with the nasal mask, woke up, then back to sleep again for 3 hours with it on.

No '5 trips to the loo' in the night :)

So here I am - Grateful to the stranger I met on the train, the NHS and my work. Of course My wife deserves credit for support and sleeping with someone that now resembles a Dr Who character.

Ill continue the Journal in the appropriate forum. Thanks for being here also guys...

Nodlad
Sergeant Snorer

Re: My Story

Post by Nodlad » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:46 pm

Great story Justyn, and what a way to find out about sleep apnoea! I too believe I've had this undiagnosed for years, decades even (I can relate symptoms right back to childhood) and went through a similar process with weight gain. For years I was in a sedentary job (bus driver) and just put the weight gain and assosciated tiredness down to that and shift work.

Best of luck to you with CPAP, it can take a bit of getting used to (as I'm discovering just now) but it'll give you your life back. I've been on it 3 weeks now and I'm having a few issues just now but overall I can't believe the difference in me :)

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: My Story

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:14 pm

Hi Justyn,
Welcome and a great story.
That was a good ENT surgeon as some of them don't look for Sleep Apnoea as a first cause and talk about operations! So full points to him for recognising it and better still, he talked to you about it.
Good for you taking his advice as well.
You did well your first night on CPAP, you should get on better as you get used to it and feel better through the day.
Keep your story running, we are always interested in how others get on, though most do not comment, a lot read.
Well done on taking the first step to a better life :)
S2S - Sleep2Snore