CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

First 4 weeks on cpap.

If you have a story of success (or failure), then post it here for others to read.
MikeB
Sergeant Snorer

Re: First 4 weeks on cpap.

Post by MikeB » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi Welshexile1963

Thanks for your post and glad to hear things are moving quickly for you and you have found my notes of some use. Please keep us all informed of your progress and remember any questions you may have just ask, everyone on here is ready and willing to help as much as they can.

I feel that I have now become a cpap addict.

On my last visit to the sleep clinic I was told that it was OK to miss the odd night of cpap therapy.
So a few weeks ago I had to spend one night away from home and decided not to take my machine with me.
What a mistake that was. I was tossing and turning all night long, spent far more time awake than asleep and my snoring woke me up several times.
The following morning I felt dreadful and had a sore throat, probably due to reverting to mouth breathing. When I got home I decided to go to bed with the machine for a couple of hours.
I awoke a few hours later felling much refreshed and the sore throat had disappeared.
This I think goes to show that although it is very hard to live with cpap initially, once you are compliant it can be even harder to live without it and you realise how lucky you are to have your cpap machine as your friend.
Please keep POSITIVE and you WILL get there in the end.
Regards and Best Wishes, Mike
Philips Respironics System One Auto with A-Flex and Heated Humidifier : TAP PAP Nasal Mask.
Supplied by the NHS.

MikeB
Sergeant Snorer

Post by MikeB » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:30 pm

MY APAP MACHINE HAS DIED
Hi everyone,
One day last week my machine gave up the ghost and stopped working after four and a half years of use every night, except one.
Did all the checks described in the user manual but still got the warning triangle on the display.
Rang the lady at the sleep clinic at 8.45am and was given an appointment for 11am the same day.
Having checked out the machine and confirming it was dead she presented me with a brand new Philips Respironics System 1 and humidifier.
That I think you will agree is unbeatable service, and all from the NHS.
Philips Respironics System One Auto with A-Flex and Heated Humidifier : TAP PAP Nasal Mask.
Supplied by the NHS.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:26 pm

Excellent service. MikeB :)

My one broke down not long ago so I phoned Aberdeen, they phoned back within an hour and asked what had happened? I said same as last time, they said come in and a machine will be waiting for you at clinic reception, just give them an hour to programme it for me :) I think they know when I say it is broken it is now.
At least it broke down during the week, last time it was at the weekend (Friday night) :? I had to wait till the Monday as no one at the clinic :? but phone rang an hour after the clinic opened on the Monday, machine will be replaced as soon as I get in, if they find it faulty.
She plugged it in, it didn't work so she gave me another one that had been set up for me, it lasted one night :shock: Got another next day, but you can imagine how I was feeling by then. :?

However they responded quickly to my predicament, so Thanks to all those that do their best to provide a good service throughout the country to us Hoseheads :D
S2S - Sleep2Snore

MikeB
Sergeant Snorer

Post by MikeB » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:52 pm

Sleep2Snore
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply with a post on your story about the service you get, as we usually only hear the negatives about the NHS.
I've even had a great response from the receptionist at the clinic. The day my mask broke and the clinician was on holiday the receptionist told me to call in and she would do her best to sort things out. This she did and I was back up and running the same day.
Supplied by the NHS.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:04 pm

Good to see that there is still some good service around and that there is still some people out there that care and take pride in their work to give a good service.
Cheeres to all of them :)
S2S - Sleep2Snore

MikeB
Sergeant Snorer

Post by MikeB » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:06 pm

Found it at last.
The perfect mask for me,( after trying most of the others that are available) is the "TAP PAP" nasal mask.
I am now on my second mask and find it the most comfortable and easy to use mask of any I have tried before.
The Good points:- NO headgear needed to keep the mask in place. Little or no mask contact with the pillow due to small size, therefore no displacement leading to leakage. Extremely light weight.
The mask is held in place by a Gum Shield arrangement which fits over the top teeth and the whole mask is quick and easy to clean.

The Bad point:- Had to buy it myself because the Hospital's supplier won't provide them in single units.

It takes about a week to get used to it mainly because the brain thinks the mouthpiece is food and orders more saliva to be produced, but it soon learns.
So if you are a nose breather and hate headgear this mask is well worth thinking about.

Regards, Mike
Supplied by the NHS.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:28 am

I'm glad you found something that worked for you.
It would not work for me as I have crowns.
I don't know if the pressure I am at would work with it as I am on a high pressure and I think I would problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewUqhKmXddU

One question I have:
Do you get any air escaping past your lips using the Tap Pap?
S2S - Sleep2Snore

MikeB
Sergeant Snorer

Post by MikeB » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:02 pm

Hi Sleep2Snore,
Thanks for reading, the answer to your question is NO. The part attached to the "gum shield" and passes out of the mouth is quite thin and your lips seal easily around it preventing air from leaking out.(But your lipstick might get a bit smudged).
This mask like most "nasal" masks are not suitable for high pressures and they say you need to have at least 8 good teeth to support the mask. Fortunately I just fit in with the requirements at the moment so will continue to use it as long as possible.

Regards, Mike
Supplied by the NHS.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:58 pm

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I just wondered about air escaping.
Good luck with it. Glad you found something that works for you. :)
S2S - Sleep2Snore

msnmsn
Private Snorer

Post by msnmsn » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:27 am

I've just been diagnosed and was interested to read your experience. I was previously getting up 3-4 times to go to the toilet every night, and began wondering if I had a bladder problem. Since starting on CPAP 4 days ago, I have only had to get up once and last night not at all! Amazing! I've got the nasal pillow mask and the first night the nostrils were so sore I just got up and smeared Vaseline in my nose otherwise I couldn't bear it. Checked with the pharmacist in Boots and he said it was the best thing as it is inert, does not move from where it is placed etc. I've also had rather bloodshot watery eyes in the morning and a sore back of head from the velcro strap. Although I'm getting a better quality of sleep I'm still very tired in the day and struggling to concentrate at work, but I feel so much better, no fuzzy morning headaches, so I think I just need to persevere with it. I think these boards are great, there is so much info

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:31 pm

Vasaline is NOT the bast thing for silicone as it can react with it as it is a petroleum based compound. You can get water based compounds that work just as well. However, if it is hurting your nostrils, the nasal pillows are maybe to tight, though this can happen when you first start using them.
S2S - Sleep2Snore