CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Newbie; my story (so far)

If you have a story of success (or failure), then post it here for others to read.
GaryJ

Newbie; my story (so far)

Post by GaryJ » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:40 am

Hi all, it's good to know there's a forum available for help and reassurance.

I'm 45, from Fife in Scotland and have suffered poor sleeping for around 15 years; being a man, I've never done anything about it...until now!
My sleep has always been an issue and has affected my life (and lifestyle) for many years; waking up at 3:00am, or earlier and staying up has been common with me, this has had a major detrimental impact on my everyday life, ready to sleep at the drop of a hat, dozing in the evening etc. etc.
Over the past 3-4 years, my snoring has increased exponentially, to the point I can be heard from outside the house; I can "sleep" for 7 hours straight sometimes, but awake with drowsiness, headaches and the feeling I've had no sleep whatsoever; Nothing like wakening up for work and instantly looking forward to bed time :(
I have never required an alarm clock for years now.
Things have (over the past year) got really bad, short tempered (even aggressive at times), lacking concentration, headaches and nausea.

Anyway, I had a consultation at the ERI in November where I was informed I had all the symptoms of Sleep Apnoea; I was told I would spend a night in the clinic for observation, 1st steps have been made.
I called up today (as once again, I didn't make work due to lack of sleep) and they had a cancellation, so I'm going in on the 16th December for the night; I feel a weight has been lifted already!
Hopefully things will go well and I'll get my life back and my work colleagues will benefit too ;)
I'll keep a journal of events.

Gary

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Newbie; my story (so far)

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:55 pm

Hi,
Long time since I was at Edinburgh. I believe there is a clinic at Dundee now, Ninewells hospital.
I strongly suspect you have Sleep Apnoea, but do please let us know how things go and your experiences.
When it comes to the point where you get a machine and mask, ask to see all the mask options. There are loads of types and models, so take your time choosing a mask and do try it lying down as the shape of your face changes when you lie down. When you find one you like, try it for at least 1\2 an hour, if you can try it with the machine going even better.
Ask if the machine has expiry relief and if it has ask them to turn it on and show you how too adjust it if need be. This is the only adjustment appart from ramp up when you start the machine you will be able too make.

Oh, good luck.
May it bring you a better life :)
S2S - Sleep2Snore

GaryJ

Post by GaryJ » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:20 pm

Thanks for the reply, I'll be sure to ask those questions and hopefully get things back in order soon.

GaryJ

Post by GaryJ » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:34 pm

Well, that was a total disaster (my night in the sleep clinic) :(
I couldn't get to sleep, still lying awake at 12:30am despite being up since 4am the previous morning.
When I did fall over into a prolonged sleep (2hr snooze), it was so broken the results were not accurate enough for a proper diagnosis.
The nurse did say I'd stopped breathing during this period and a further visit would be required for a more accurate test, what a nightmare!
Lost another day off work as I'm absolutely shattered, head's splitting and feel awful.
I was hoping I'd be coming away with a solution to this, but I could be waiting another 4 months for any further help, I'm totally gutted.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:00 pm

I had already seen the room I would be sleeping in, I had decide I would have problems sleeping ss it was do hot and stuffy. So while I had too wait till night (this was late afternoon) I went too the pub, had a few pints (maybe it should not have been pints as after I wss connected up I had to get rid of what I took in) however the drink helped me sleep as I had to as they were doing a half anf half (half to see if I had Sleep Apnoea and half to work out a pressure) so I had too sleep all night. Which I did, after I fell asleep I was out for the duration of the night. Woke up around 6am and the nurse appeared and disconnected me. Had too go back in the afternoon too see the consultant and get my results and pick up a machine. I was asked why I had had a drink, so her wss told why, he said no one had done that before but her said it had worked. Her also said her didn't recomend drinking beyond 7pm.
Can't wind them all, but I slept like a log. They got the results and I didn't have too go back.
A good frink of vodka would have giving same result without the bladder feeling so full.

Better luck next time.
Take something too help you sleep.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

GaryJ

Post by GaryJ » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:29 pm

LOL, I hadn't even considered a "nightcap", but I'm a tee total anyway ;)

I'm now trolling the interweb looking for something to help me sleep better: Wedge pillows ordered, chin strap ordered, anything else I could do?

Gary

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:13 pm

Not unless you have a problem with something?

I only had a drink because I live too the west of Aberdeen and I had too go too Edinburgh which is not round the corner. I had too get this done and get it sorted in one go. I was not going bacj and was not leaving without a diagnosis.
Although it was warm I slept like a log. I had three days off work through it already and although the company didn't understand what was wrong with me they knew it was hospital appointments.
I don't think they understood the whole thing, nor did their insurers. I did tell them about it and they did phone their insurers and they just asked if in their oppinion I was safe too drive. They asked if anyone had said I shouldn't drive and when the answer was no I was told too carry on as normal.

Have you got a machine yet or do you have too go through all the tests again?
Sorry, I am on the phone and it is not so easy too look back.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

GaryJ

Post by GaryJ » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:46 pm

No machine as I didn't sleep enough for a proper "reading".

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:58 pm

Ask if you can do a home study by getting an APAP home with you for a few nights. There should be enough data then to make a diagnostic of your sleeping.
If you have problems sleeping take something tom help you sleep. Though if you have problems sleeping this in itself will make you tired during the day.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:02 pm

You can also record yourself sleeping on a smart phone or tablet using SleepClock or some equivalent App' if you need something tom back up what you are saying. It can be displayed on a graph so will help the doctor or Sleep Clinic.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

GaryJ

Post by GaryJ » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:37 pm

Just an update on this:

I had a letter just after Christmas confirming that I do indeed have OSA and was to start therapy. Despite my very short (broken) sleep, there was enough there for a diagnosis after all.
I called the Clinic a week past Friday and was lucky to get a cancellation the following Tuesday (one week ago).
Having spent the night restless, broken sleep, up for a pee and trying 2 masks, I finally got home with my machine (S9 with Humidifier and Quatro Full Face mask).
Over the next couple of days, I noted a remarkable improvement in my sleep quality and actually felt good in the morning with no signs of grogginess or the urge to sleep.
I am now able to get up, feel relatively fresh, spend the day at work and the evening with the better half without falling asleep, happy days indeed, and all within a week!!

Last night was very uncomfortable as the mask was slipping, loosing the seal and kept waking me up, I suppose I'll go through this faze until I'm accustomed to the intrusive nature of the mask.

All in all, I'm over the moon with the therapy, welcome to my new life :D

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:21 pm

There is a little bit of trial and error until you find what works for you and you find a mask that is the right one.
Stick with it and keep trying, you will get there, look at the difference in how you feel already.
S2S - Sleep2Snore