CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Hi...New here

If you have a story of success (or failure), then post it here for others to read.
honeybea
Private Snorer

Hi...New here

Post by honeybea » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:43 pm

Hello everyone, I am new here and so glad I found this site.

I'm a 49yr old female.... diagnosed January 2013 with sleep apnea, I know I snore lol.
I had an over night test with that little monitor on my finger, and was told my oxygen level drops down to the 80's and I wake up 32 times an hour, and I stop breathing 4 times, cant remember if it was 4 times an hour or night!
I got my machine in March last year, struggled with it big time, then I moved in April last year and the machine went wrong!! So after only using it for a few weeks it's timing/pressure seemed to all go wrong. I vaguely remember the setting being at 4.5...and it would build up slowly if needed and I was told it would adjust to what pressure I needed during the night. Well after moving in April13 I could not find the machine for 2 months, someone had kindly put it in the attic ( hubby, but he won't admit to it).... I tried using it as I am so desperate for a good nights sleep, but as soon as I put the mask on the machine is whooshing straight up to the highest number...9...... and I feel like i'm suffocating, so have not been able to use it.

It has now been nine months with no use and I actually feel like if I don't sleep properly soon I am going to die, I am EXHAUSTED all the time...my heart is now playing up and I wonder if its related at all. I have finally managed to find someone in my new area who treats sleep apnea and who can reset my machine to the correct levels... and I cannot wait to see her...which I will do in one more week.
In the mean time, I am having trouble with my heart and it is racing and doing all sorts of weird things, I am hoping it is down to one of my meds that I take, but I have noticed for example, last night, after finally falling to sleep I kept waking up gasping for air....I have my own little finger oxymeter thing, and even whilst awake and just laying in bed my oxygen levels are only at 92%...i'm not sure if this is a worry or not...I can get them back up during the day to 95/96 because I am sitting up.
Well hopefully this time next week I will have my machine up and running, but will be back to struggling with keep the mouth or nose mask on, they both irritate me hugely.

Take care

Honeybea.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: Hi...New here

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:27 pm

Sounds as if the machine is running in CPAP mode!
Have you checked for leaks, split hose, missing parts on mask?
This will cause it to go to full pressure.
If all is ok and it still runs on full pressure then it will have to be checked. Were you diagnosed at a private clinic?
S2S - Sleep2Snore

honeybea
Private Snorer

Post by honeybea » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi, No not diagnosed privately...I was diagnosed at my local hospital and was given my machine by them....but I moved within 4 weeks of having it and cannot get back to this hospital. I am going to see a 'sleep apea nurse' next Friday 24th Jan and hopefully she will be able to reset it for me.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:04 pm

Ok, hopefully she will reset it.
S2S - Sleep2Snore