CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Just over a year in

If you have a story of success (or failure), then post it here for others to read.
ryprodigy

Just over a year in

Post by ryprodigy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:47 pm

I have been visiting this site since spring 2013 and have found it very helpful. So thanks all. So here’s my story this year so far.

I went to see a locum GP as my wife who is a nurse was concerned I had a sleeping condition, who then referred me to a consultant.

End of February 2013. I went to see my consultant and filled in a short questionnaire while in the waiting room (Epworth test). I discussed with him my wife’s concerns about me stopping breathing and snoring during the night, and over tiredness and falling asleep during the daytime. Also that I was waking up around 8-10 times a night and getting up to visit the toilet, and waking up gasping for air. He told me that he did not think I had sleep apnoea, as my scoring on the questionnaire was border line, 10. Saying that he thought it might be down to my physical work and stress of running my business. But still wanted to run a test. I collected the equipment off a nurse to monitor me for one night. I received the results off the nurse and was told that I was stopping breathing on average 91 times an hour, and was given a CPAP machine (ResMed S9, with humidifier with full face Quattro mask). I struggled using it for the first 5-6 weeks.

April/May time. I was due to go back and see my consultant, so was wired up again for one night to see if it had helped. Although not perfect I managed at one point that night to reduce the number of episodes to 30 an hour.
On returning to see my consultant he was amazed to see I had been stopping breathing on average 91 times an hour, as he did not think I had sleep apnoea. ( I did not get told what my peak was.) He examined my throat, and told me I had a very narrow airway, and referred me to ENT as I have adhesions scar tissue in my nose (from a broken nose as a child) and that I do not breathe through my nose. He said that I must have had the condition for a very long time and have got so used to coping with it. I asked him that if I lost some weight would it help or stop my condition. He told me that as my case was so severe, so no. But said of course losing some weight would be good anyway. After being diagnosed my weight rose again. I have since dropped my weight from 15st 11lb to 12st 11lb. I’m 5ft 5in.
Now I sleep straight through the night. I still have a very dry mouth (but used to it as a mouth breather). I now wear my CPAP every night. Now I am never tired in the day and do not fall asleep, and when it’s time to get up I can get out of bed unlike before. I sleep atleast 7-8 hours.

OCTOBER Seen ENT consultant , who wants to do a septoplasty. Seen my regular nurse on way out of the hospital, and said to think carefully before having it done as it is so I can tolerate the machine, and that I would not be able to use the machine for maybe upto two months, due to the risk of infection
(which I’m having no probs using CPAP)
Wrote a letter to my OSA consultant, explain how I was feeling, my compliance with the machine and weight loss, he wrote back to me advising me not to go ahead.
NOVEMBER I have been monitored over night earlier this week, and had my results the following day. My result was 0.00, absolutely no episodes. The nurse was very surprised as she told me the readings could even be as low as 0.01.

So with just over a year in I cannot believe the difference it has made to me and my family.

I must also add the staff at my hospital have been absolutely brilliant. So a big thank you to them.

Bil1

Re: Just over a year in

Post by Bil1 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:05 pm

I always love reading these types of positive stories. Even though it may be selfish, I can always see my own stories in this and I know that everything is going to be all right for me as well. I am glad to hear that just a year has made this type of difference for you.

Tetchyted
Corporal Snorer

Post by Tetchyted » Sat May 17, 2014 10:44 am

I hope I am as successful. I've got just under a month to wait for my second consultants visit where I hope to get the results of my sleep study. I really really hope he gives me a cpap machine as it's getting to the point where I'm struggling every day with basic activities.

DeenJai
Sergeant Snorer

Post by DeenJai » Thu May 29, 2014 9:35 am

Congratulation on your first year of CPAP'ing, like you I've been on CPAP for just over a year. My last partial sleep test showed that i was having 48 episodes an hour with five CSA an hour. I wish I could get my weight down to a healthy weight but I'm losing the battle at the moment.
Dee

ryprodigy

Post by ryprodigy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:44 pm

Just an update. I went back to see my consultant three weeks ago. He was very happy with my progress and signed me off. So my first point of contact now will be with the nurses in the department. He told me that I was cured, as long as I still of course use my CPAP. I cannot believe how far I have come in 16 months, I finish work now and go for 15-20 mile bike rides, I just have so much more energy. What topped it off for me though was when he asked my wife what she thought of my progress. She answered "He's a new man", to which my consultant wrote in his notes.