CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

On the verge....

If you have a story of success (or failure), then post it here for others to read.
Tetchyted
Corporal Snorer

On the verge....

Post by Tetchyted » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:51 pm

A newbie to this forum having just started the process. Similar to others - snored for many years regardless of weight, had a nose op at the demand of ex wife which didn't work and the wife left. Falling asleep in the office. Dozing off behind the wheel. Girlfriend recently (January) forced me to visit doc after watching me choke/splutter and suffocate at night. GP suspected OSA. Consultant also suspects OSA. Doing home sleep test tonight!

I'm quite positive having read a few posts on his board but I just wish I could speed up the system.

Tetchyted
Corporal Snorer

Re: On the verge....

Post by Tetchyted » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:24 pm

I did the home sleep study the night before last. I got myself connected up to the recording device and managed to switch it on. The indicator lights came on and worked as expected. It was mildly uncomfortable sleeping with the kit on but not as bad as I expected. The nurse told me that they like to get a good six hours data to get meaningful results. I went to bed at ten pm and got up at about 6.30 - as usual I was up about 5 times in the night for a pee.

I took the machine back as required. Having been told by my consultant that it's not uncommon for the test to have to be redone three or four times, I was anxious to see how my test went. I rang the cardiac centre today and asked how it had gone and they said it was a good test! Now I,ve got to wait to see the consultant again!

Suse
Brigadier Snorer

Post by Suse » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:36 am

Hi Ted - when they said it was a 'good test' were they meaning that the results were robust enough - rather than everything was fine?

Hopefully you get a speedy consultant appointment and are able to move on with the right treatment.

Tetchyted
Corporal Snorer

Post by Tetchyted » Mon May 05, 2014 4:31 pm

By good test they meant they hog the results they needed. However, they wouldn't give me the actual results over the phone. Next consultants appointment nit till June 13th! Any ideas what I can expect at that meeting?

Tetchyted
Corporal Snorer

Post by Tetchyted » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:14 pm

Just back from appointment at Broomfield Hospital. Somewhat disappointed. The consultant confirmed that I have 'severe OSA' and has referred me to the London Chest Hospital for CPAP therapy. I had hoped that in the intervening weeks between my sleep test and today they would have arranged the CPAP therapy and I could get some relief. However, I now have to wait lord knows how long for another appointment :-(

Suse
Brigadier Snorer

Post by Suse » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:25 pm

Well it's good news and not so good Ted. Always good to get a diagnosis and one that has a potentially effective treatment too!

Hopefully you'll get through the system relatively quickly and get your machine and started on the road towards meaningful sleep quality! Let us know how you get on!

Tetchyted
Corporal Snorer

Post by Tetchyted » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:40 pm

Finally had an appointment at London Chest Hospital. Yet again a little disappointed as I expected to be fitted with a CPAP machine. However the consultant just confirmed what the other doctors had said - severe OSA and gave me a form to take to another department. I now have to wait another three weeks for the machine.

I know it's not the doctors or consultants fault but I've had three visits to professionals where they just confirmed previous diagnoses or results! The NHS is a marvellous system but it really is inefficient. Still, hopefully the end is in sight :-)

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:56 pm

I hope the weight is worth it Ted.
You have to be in the frame of mind to make it work when you get a machine.
Ask to see a few masks and don't accept the one they hand you as this is the area where most people have trouble. If you can try a few masks on, if the machine is connected, even better, but try them for comfort, do take your time as time spent here will save you time in the long run.

Good luck, you are going down the right road and will soon be there.
Any problems, just ask in the General Section or here.
We will try to help if we can.

S2S
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Tetchyted
Corporal Snorer

Post by Tetchyted » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:21 pm

Due to get my machine this Thursday. Looking forward to it on the one hand but slightly nervous on the other. What if it doesn't work? What happens then?

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:02 pm

Tetchyted wrote:Due to get my machine this Thursday. Looking forward to it on the one hand but slightly nervous on the other. What if it doesn't work? What happens then?
As NM says, use it every time you sleep. Not saying everything will be smooth sailing, but keep trying. Any problems, come back and we will see if we can suggest anything to help.
Masks are usually the biggest problem at the start, but not always.

If you have problems, remember to tell us what machine you have and mask if you know it and the pressure it is set at and anything else relevent :)

Good luck with it.

S2S
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Tetchyted
Corporal Snorer

Post by Tetchyted » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:10 pm

Got my machine this morning - a phillips respironic. Seems quite simple and the mask felt comfortable during the test. The pressure is set at 15 which i gather is quite high but the machine has a 'ramp' feature which increases the pressure gradually.

Looking forward to trying it tonight - have bought fresh new pillows to help get off to sleep. Will report tomorrow!

Tetchyted
Corporal Snorer

Post by Tetchyted » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:32 am

Okay, heres my impression of CPAP night one!

I got the machine set up quite easily. I was advised to position it lower than my head so it is sitting in the lowest drawer of my bedside cabinet. I put the mask on, set the machine to ramp therapy then lie back. It took me a while to relax and start moving about freely because i wasn't sure of the hose flexibility.

Eventually i drifted off to sleep. The mask was quite comfortable and i couldn't feel any leakage. I woke two hours later with a dry mouth so took the mask off and had a few sips of water. Then back to it. Dropped off again quickly.

Another 4 hours and i needed a pee. This in itself is a good sign becaise normally i'd be up every hour peeing. (why does OSA do that?). I had a few problems getting the mask to reseal but eventua lly i got it sorted. Again, i got straight back to sleep once settled.

Next thing i know my alarm is going off! I do have a slight headache but i think that is due to tension and maybe the straps. I don't feel like jumping around like a spring lambe but i do feel more rested than before. I obviously havent been thrashing around in the night as my bedclothes look hardly disturbed whereas normally they're all over the place.

On the whole a good first night. I need to relax more and appreciate the flexibility of the hose.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:18 pm

Early days but a good first night. :)
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Tetchyted
Corporal Snorer

Post by Tetchyted » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Thanks for the supportive messages - most apreciated. As my first day has gone i have really noticed an increase in energy. Normally by 4pm I'd be yawning and nodding off at the first opportunity but today I'm wide awake! I've done the shopping, made a cake and made a large pot of curry- usually i'd struggle to just get round the supermarket! I hope this is a sign of things to come :-)

Tetchyted
Corporal Snorer

Post by Tetchyted » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:00 pm

They gave me a comprehensive set of instructions for the mask but not much for the machine although it is simple enough.

I do have one question though, the manual says that i should be able to monitor my sleep patterns using the info menu. I can access the menu but it doesn't say much. I'd like to know how many AHI's i'm having with the CPAP