CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

sleep apnoea and pneumonia

If you have a story of success (or failure), then post it here for others to read.
michael.moran8
Private Snorer

sleep apnoea and pneumonia

Post by michael.moran8 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:01 am

I have been diagnosed with central sleep apnea. I have been on the forced air flow cpap machine since October, with the ordinary cpap machine provided originally by the NHS.

My question is two fold.

1) Is there anything on the site for cleaning the nasal pillows and hoses? I currently use glass cleaner for the water chamber part.

Also

2) Having just developed pneumonia in the last two weeks, is the forced air flow along with the humidifier likely to have caused or exacerbated a bacterial chest infection resulting in strep pneumoniae being forced deeper into my lungs?

I have a pre-existing medical condition and unfortunately I am no stranger to chest infections, however this is a new unwanted experience for me!!

My science background makes me think there is a link.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: sleep apnoea and pneumonia

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:50 pm

Science background eh!

All I can say is even with bad colds I have never had a chest infection while using CPAP.
At the moment I am very susceptible to chest infections, have been for a while now and not had one.
I have little or no immune system at the moment. CPAP has not been a problem. It may just be that you are prone to chest infections, but if you are worried about it talk to your clinic or doctor.
S2S - Sleep2Snore