CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

New osa sufferer

If you have a story of success (or failure), then post it here for others to read.
andyglomas
Private Snorer

New osa sufferer

Post by andyglomas » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi I've been exhausted for years, waking just as tired as before sleeping. Neighbours have complained about my snoring over 20 years ago.
After waiting 3years for testing I am positive for mixed and and central (aph 91). The consultant told me to stop driving so I contacted dvla who told me the same. I have surrendered my driving licence immediately because its easier to get it back than if they revoke it. I need my car back asap as I am disabled.
I'm thinking of buying cpap machine because the NHS will take at least 12 weeks to provide. I would not know what pressure or masks to use though ,and I have phobia of mask or anything on my face even at the dentist I hate it.
Obviously I will be checking forums for advice

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: New osa sufferer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:50 am

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I can understand why you need your car.
If you obtained a prescription from the sleep clinic it would tell you what pressure it had to be set to.
Check when you pick it up. You can buy one then and have it set up for you.
The other type you could try is an APAP (Automatic) machine that adjusts itself to the required pressure. Masks are a bit of a hit or a miss ans is by far the biggest problem area for most users.
Many have to try a few before they get one that suits them and they are very expensive. Most are getting on to £100 or more in some cases, so it might cost you a lot of money before you get one you can use. However, if you are a mouth breather you could get Nasal Pillows, these sit on your nostrils and are very easy to use. The other common type is a Full-faced mask but it can be claustrophobic. There is a hybrid type that combines them both, these cover your mouth and your nostrils but are not very popular. Masks usually come in three main sizes, small, medium and large.
Nasal Pillows usually come with all three sizes of pillows (check before buying).
It might be that the clinic might supply a mask for you and a hose. This might save you a bit of cash as the machines are expensive as well.
They might even service the machine for you, but you would need to discuss it with them.
There is also another option open to you after you obtain a prescription, hire one, though compare the cost compared to buying one. It might even cost more than buying one, but it would be a stop gap if your own NHS machine were not to take to long.

It usually takes six months in England to get a machine from the NHS, but six months is a long time without a car. When you get your machine it is important to use it every time you go to sleep to become compliant so as you can apply to have your licence back.

One other thing is you may need and most likely will need a humidifier. This adds some hmidity to the air being supplied by the machine. The air tends to dry out the nose and throat, sometimes to the point it is hard to breath without one.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

Hire or buy, you can always start by enquiring on this site.
Go for a well know name like Philips, Remstar or Fisher & Paykel.
Look for good reviews on any machine you buy.

It may be worth speaking to your clinic first just to see if it would depend what model you buy, if they would service it after warranty expires.

Let us know how you get on and what you decide.
S2S - Sleep2Snore