CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

newbee hose head

If you have a story of success (or failure), then post it here for others to read.
Kepliz
Private Snorer

newbee hose head

Post by Kepliz » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:44 am

Hi all

I just wanted to introduce myself, its great there is forums like this, I have read some of the posts and its really a comfort to know I'm not alone and that others go through the same sort of problems.

I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago but seem to have suffered from OAS for about 15 years. Its first now after I have been on the treatment and felt the results that I realise how tired and worn down I have been, and that it is not the normal way things should be. Constantly craving sleep, suffering from depression and struggling to learn and to adabt. Falling alseep at work, in the cinema, in the bus and during conversations etc... Haven't managed to watch a movie in one go for almost a decade. It has been a fairly long process to get diagnosed I started in June and was told it could also be related to being over weight (I was 30 stone), so I have lost 4 stone since may and its going well on that part and I'm now slowly learning to use the cpap and could after the first week feel a massive difference. There is still some difficulties I need to overcome (I have put a post about problems with mask fit in the relevant section).

I'm using the machine over 6 hours a night now and the average abnea is less than 2 so its going pretty well I think.

I'm wondering about my results, I didn't get much info from the clinic but did manage to pick some of the key figures. I was told my average number of abneas was 96, I can see on the net that its classed as severe but is it allot? Oxygen level was 51%, so I guess there is a reason for the daily headache.

I don't have a driver license, but am planing to get into that once my treatment is on track, does anyone have some good info on that?

thank you for reading.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: newbee hose head

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:52 pm

You are doing well to come down from 96 to 2 Apnoea events.
How are you measuring your
Oxygen level was 51%,
This should be a lot higher, around 90% and above.
It may be that it was
Oxygen level was 51%,
and I misunderstood what you meant.

There is no reason why you may not take driving lessons once you get the all clear from your Sleep Clinic.
The Sleep Clinic has a duty to inform the DVLA that you have Sleep Apnoea, so you will need to get a letter from the Clinic to say that you are allowed to drive and you must declare that you suffer from Sleep Apnoea. This will not stop you learning to drive, though it might delay it slightly or they check with the clinic. You will also have to let your intended insurers know as they might declare your policy void if you do not and leave yourself open to prosecution by the police.
I started in June and was told it could also be related to being over weight (I was 30 stone)
It almost certainly related to your weight, I think they were being diplomatic.
I have lost 4 stone since may and its going well on that part
Well done on the weight loss, it is not easy. Keep it going, slowly but surely.
There is still some difficulties I need to overcome (I have put a post about problems with mask fit in the relevant section).
It is seldom easy at first, the Clinic Sleep Nurse should be able to help with a lot of problems, however, they don't use the equipment themselves (most don't anyway) so please ask as you are among fellow users and it is often users that can give you the best tips, so please feel free to ask.
Do not be put off if you do not get a response or not the one expected.
You are off to a good start in any case. :)
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Kepliz
Private Snorer

Post by Kepliz » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:11 pm

Hi Sleep2Snore

cheers, I can feel a massive difference already.
I'm not measuring the oxygen level now, the 51% was part of the result when they did the sleep study. So I cant say what it is now, but the headaches is gone so I'm guessing its allot better now. My post was properly a bit confusing, English is not my first language and I do get it jumbled up sometimes.

Thanks for the info on DVLA, I'm looking forward to get into driving :D

oh yea i'm sure my weight has made this allot worse or caused it as you said. however I did also have it when I was about 80 kg less 15 years ago, but didn't realise what it was and that it was serious. My partner at the time told me I stopped breathing often in my sleep.

Yea I did get some info from the nurse, but they keep very strictly a 30 mins limit at each appointment and I think it also include the time to take notes etc.. so it feels a bit rushed and difficult to get all the questions in, however there is lot of good sources out there. And as you say you can feel there are often talking from book knowledge and not from using the equipment themselves. But never the less I'm really happy I got into the treatment and for the help I have received.

thanks for the warm welcome :D its a big change to get into all this, and its nice to be able to get help and advice.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:37 pm

You're welcome, please let us know how you get on.
If you have any problems just ask somewhere above.
S2S - Sleep2Snore