CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

SLEEP APNOEA GONE?

If you have a story of success (or failure), then post it here for others to read.
Big work
Corporal Snorer

SLEEP APNOEA GONE?

Post by Big work » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:22 am

Hi all I wanted to ask a question regarding cpap machines. I've had mine just over 18 month in that time I've gone from 24 and a half stone to 17 stone 12 pounds and still going down, my goal is 16 stone. Now the question need to ask is I've had 3 days where I've been off cpap and have suffered no daytime sleepiness no yawing when getting up in the morning. I'm on my first night shift this week at the mo been up 20 hours and still feel fine. I have been recording my sleep with an app that picks up everything yes I'm snoring but you can clearly hear me breath in and out throughout the whole recording. I've rang the hospital and left the dept an answer message to ask for another sleep study to be done (they haven't got back to me yet!!) Am I right in thinking if I still suffered from sleep apnoea and not used cpap I would have daytime sleepiness straight away again?

Thanks in Advance

Norm

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: SLEEP APNOEA GONE?

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:33 pm

It usually take a few days and tiredness creeps up on you slowly.
It is not that you don't get sleep, it is the interrupted sleep that makes you tired.
Well done on the weight loss though :)
I would get down to your target weight before pushing for another Sleep Study though.
Be aware that you may still have it even if the recording does not show you stopping breathing.
You may be fine on your side but not on your back, so be aware.
Loosing weight is one thing, but keeping it off is another.

You may well be clear of it and you are doing the right thing by asking for another sleep study.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Big work
Corporal Snorer

Post by Big work » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:47 pm

Thanks for the reply I'm going to stay off cpap this week to see if tiredness comes back. Yes the keeping off the weight is a big issue but the way I will be doing it is calorie counting. It is a way of life that once you start you can't stop :?

Big work
Corporal Snorer

Post by Big work » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:13 pm

Hi all just to let you know I'm still off the cpap and have not had any day time sleepiness and still loosing weight my heart rate when I wake up is 60bpm my blood pressure is still ideal and I'm now 16 stone 12 and I have been recording my sleeping still. I'm at not snoring loud. Just a low sounding breathing as my nose blocks up at night. I have got another sleep study on the 10th of March and will let you know how that goes after they process the data. I have saved recordings when the app has triggered and the longest one which is 5 minutes long I do not stop breathing at any point during it nor any of the other recording so fingers crossed the sleep study will confirm this for me. I would like to be 16 stone 7 pound when I go to see them so I can point out a 8 stone loss.

Kind regards

Norman

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:21 pm

8 stone loss, WOW!
S2S - Sleep2Snore

meanttobeworking
Corporal Snorer

Post by meanttobeworking » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:32 am

Hi,

I had a sleep study last night and although I'm yet to see the consultant, based on what the nurses said it sounds like I've got sleep apnoea good and proper. I think weight is a big factor (I'm 19st and my wife said it's a lot worse now than when I was 16st when we got together), and I was looking for some encouragement that weight loss could help.

So I just wanted to say thanks for posting your experience, it's helped motivate me to sort myself out weight-wise :)

Big work
Corporal Snorer

Post by Big work » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:04 pm

Weight is a huge factor where sleep apnea is concerned. I've had my new sleep study and just waiting for the results. I'm dreaming on my own again been off cpap for nearly 6 weeks weight loss still happening so fingers crossed I get the all clear. I do know that when I had it I didn't dream as you don't go into REM sleep so remembering my dreams is a massive confidence boost. I expect them to come back with you no longer need to use cpap even though I've been off it for some time now and hope you get where you need to be. I understand the need for the machine but hated the constraints that came with it so that gave me the drive to kick the machine into touch. I will post when I get my results. Best of luck

Regards

Norm

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:53 pm

meanttobeworking wrote:Hi,

I had a sleep study last night and although I'm yet to see the consultant, based on what the nurses said it sounds like I've got sleep apnoea good and proper. I think weight is a big factor (I'm 19st and my wife said it's a lot worse now than when I was 16st when we got together), and I was looking for some encouragement that weight loss could help.

So I just wanted to say thanks for posting your experience, it's helped motivate me to sort myself out weight-wise :)
Weight loss does work for most people, you have proved it yourself by putting on weight.
Have you had to get more pressure or are you one of the lucky ones that have an APAP?
I have seen a lot of people loose weight and either not need CPAP or have their pressure reduced drastically.
So it is well worth loosing the weight, you will also feel a lot better and fitter into the bargain. :D
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:57 pm

Big work wrote:Weight is a huge factor where sleep apnea is concerned. I've had my new sleep study and just waiting for the results. I'm dreaming on my own again been off cpap for nearly 6 weeks weight loss still happening so fingers crossed I get the all clear. I do know that when I had it I didn't dream as you don't go into REM sleep so remembering my dreams is a massive confidence boost. I expect them to come back with you no longer need to use cpap even though I've been off it for some time now and hope you get where you need to be. I understand the need for the machine but hated the constraints that came with it so that gave me the drive to kick the machine into touch. I will post when I get my results. Best of luck

Regards

Norm

Hi Norm,
Please do let us know how you get on. For some people weight has a lot to do with it, but for some there are other factors involved.
Hope you get there 8)
S2S - Sleep2Snore

meanttobeworking
Corporal Snorer

Post by meanttobeworking » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:41 pm

Sleep2Snore wrote:
meanttobeworking wrote: Have you had to get more pressure or are you one of the lucky ones that have an APAP?
I only saw the consultant for my follow-up after the initial sleep study today, so don't have a machine yet. But he tried me out on one that blasted me with air, so I'm pretty sure it'll be that one :)

Big work
Corporal Snorer

Post by Big work » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:33 pm

So had a phone call today and the sleep study over 2 nights were inconclusive. So back to the hospital for another bit of equipment that straps to your chest and has a monitor that goes on your middle finger and tubes up your nose. Only for one nights sleep to be recorded. So hopefully I will update you all later on in the week.........fingers crossed

Regards

Norm

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:44 am

:? That's a shame you have to go through that!
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Big work
Corporal Snorer

Post by Big work » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:20 pm

Hi all rang up the hospital chasing my results and tbh they are awful. Won't get the results till after holiday which is in May and have to go see the consultant to get my results. I informed them as I have all through this process I'm not using my cpap and was told they will inform the DVLA. What a bunch of morons!!!! It's not my fault their equipment is a bag if knackers and they have people on holiday!!! So as far as I'm concerned I don't need it I'm dreaming on my own no daytime sleepiness. So to one and all thanks for all your input hope you all have a fantastic summer. I'm off to go live my life!!!!!

Warmest regards

Norm

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:10 pm

8)
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Big work
Corporal Snorer

Post by Big work » Thu May 12, 2016 12:18 pm

Finally had a letter back today. All gone no more sleep apnea. I hope all of you get to where you need to be in life take care and peace out!