CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

OSA the OSAS,The Hard facts

If you have a story of success (or failure), then post it here for others to read.
Dartagnan
Private Snorer

OSA the OSAS,The Hard facts

Post by Dartagnan » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:52 pm

I'm a Bus Driver and will be having tests for Apnia soon. I think i may have mild Apnia and if so have to surrender my D2 license
Ive looked up the symptoms and treatments etc but cant find anything concrete about the License Issue.
Just so I'm ready and assuming I have Apmia or Syndrome.
At what point do I inform DVLA, Pre Diagnosis , Diagnosis, before treatment or after treatment.
Most Importantly, how long does diagnosis then treatment take and how long will I be without my D2 bus driver license for Apnia and syndrome

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: OSA the OSAS,The Hard facts

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:12 pm

Dartagnan wrote:I'm a Bus Driver and will be having tests for Apnia soon. I think i may have mild Apnia and if so have to surrender my D2 license
Ive looked up the symptoms and treatments etc but cant find anything concrete about the License Issue.
Just so I'm ready and assuming I have Apmia or Syndrome.
At what point do I inform DVLA, Pre Diagnosis , Diagnosis, before treatment or after treatment.
Most Importantly, how long does diagnosis then treatment take and how long will I be without my D2 bus driver license for Apnia and syndrome
Well, you have to tell DVLA after you have been diagnosed, not before.
Having said that you are also duty bound to tell them if you are sleepy at the wheel and not safe when driving.
Being a bus driver it is even more important you do not put yourself on the wrong side of the law.
When you go for your Sleep Study ASK the Consultant what you should do. They are also duty bound to inform DVLA, though some treat it depending on how quick you get a machine and become compliant, this means if you have Sleep Apnoea you have to use the machine when asleep. It is advised that you use the machine for at least five hours and have a score of less than 5AHI (events where you stop breathing), hope this helps a little.
You may get back to drive a bus, there are others out there who have got their licences back and allowed to drive one.
If you are overweight it might help if you loose some weight, I know it is not easy driving a bus and loosing weight, but..............

Explain to the Consultant that you are a bus driver when you see him/her.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Dartagnan
Private Snorer

Post by Dartagnan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:13 pm

Thank sleep2snore for the reply.
do i have to have score of less than 5AH to retain my D2 bus entitlement?
I also ride a motorbike assuming i keep my car license will i still keep my bike one.

Id feel much better about this if i knew what the license outcome would be, i don't mind surrendering it as long as I can get it back

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:44 pm

I still have both car ans bike one. They are treated the same.
The 5AHI and 5 to 6hrs on the machine every night is a guide.
A lot depends on your consultant.

Your bus licence may be treated otherwise.
Talk to the Consultant when you first see him.
You do not need to inform the DVLA until you have a diagnoses, but some consultants do not inform the DVLA or they see your first sleep results from the machines data card. You do have a duty to inform the DVLA if you are tired at the wheel.
Ask the consultant for advice when you attend.
I have known consultants to have a machine ready for a driver to use straight away if they driver for a living.
By the time you get the form to let DVLA know and they reply, you could already be compliant, then you can phone them to tell them and pass on the consultants details for them to confirm you are fit to drive.
They did not do a sleep test until they had a machine available, But this can lead to delays, talk to the consultant about it, some are sympathetic others stick to the letter.
I don't know how they will treat your bus licence? They may ask you to go for another medical, I don't know.

There may be a bus driver on here still. I know there used to be one, but that was a while ago!

Good luck, let us know how you get on.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Dartagnan
Private Snorer

Post by Dartagnan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:27 pm

OSA and ASAS

looking at DVLA web site for notifiable illnesses it says you must notify them if.
you have

1 obstructive sleep apnoea which affects your ability to drive safely
2 obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome

I have OSA and had a reading of 10.5 without a CPAP and the consultant said im ok to drive. I don't feel it effects my ability to drive, I always make sure I have enough hours in bed and watch what I eat and drink.

I have reported it to DVLA and they say I can keep driving and sent me forms to fill in with my GP information etc
As I have OSA but no drowsiness I don't fall into category 1 or 2 above so why do DVLA need more medical information, are they just collection data.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:16 pm

You have reported it when you were diagnosed, it does not affect your driving and they are allowing you to drive.
Common sense for once :)
S2S - Sleep2Snore