CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

WHAT A NIGHT NEVER AGAIN!

If you have a story of success (or failure), then post it here for others to read.
Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

WHAT A NIGHT NEVER AGAIN!

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:23 pm

WHAT A NIGHT! :shock:

Well, it started like this, I have one bitch of a cold and my nose chokes up as soon as I lay down.
So, I dug out an old full-faced mask that I got years ago but found it was to claustrophobic and leaked to much. However, I was determined to be able to get some sleep and feel refreshed in the morning, so I found a hose that was in poor shape but still just serviceable.
Then I looked through the old masks to find the offending mask, the silicone had turned a strange greenish yellow. However, it looked clean and it had no smell, just the silicone had changed colour over time, but it was still very flexible. So, I stuck it on my face expecting to rip it off as the claustrophobia took hold and the panic set in, but no, no reaction from my fight or flee response mechanism. So, I held it on for a while, it felt alright, so I connected it to the hose and found a connector for the end so as it could plug into the humidifier. These are wonderful, it is easy to connect and disconnect with these little plastic adaptors.
All well, “So far so good” I thought I might get a good nights sleep if all went as well as finding it.
How wrong could I have been?
I went to bed and plugged it into the humidifier, I didn’t have a safety valve that opened if the machine cut off, but then I never had one anyway. I found that if the power goes off or the machine has a problem I waken almost immediately. I have found this out in the past when the machine went up in smoke, started to vibrate and switched off, also when a duck flew into high voltage wires once when I was sleeping in a caravan. Apart from that, there has been a couple of power cuts due to weather that happened through the night, I woke up and there was no harm done.
Next came the fight to get the mask to sit on my face, I followed my own advice and got it sitting quite nicely, started the machine and felt the silicone seal blow against my face and seal. “Good I thought” and settled down to a good nights sleep. Well, how wrong could I be, as soon as I lay down it leaked into one of my eyes. I thought I would stop the machine and follow my own advice again and fit the mask while laying down, not to tight, just enough to seal it. This I did, I didn’t even move to turn on the machine as it starts as soon as it detects me breathing. After a few breaths, it duly started.
All went well for the first few minutes, then came the first leak into my eyes again, so I stopped the machine and pulled the mask down my nose and slid it back up again to seat the seal, this worked for a while until I moved slightly. I then had felt where the mask straps were sitting, yes, they were both at different lengths. “Soon fix that” I thought and started to adjust the straps so that the mask would sit a bit straighter on my face. Thought that would be an easy enough thing to do, but it took me a few minutes to get it right. Then I lay down and adjusted it to stop any leaks, then fine tuned it to sit perfect. Lay down and started the machine to feel a nice humid breeze over my face. I was proud of myself, no leaks and a nice warm humid breeze to breath in now that the humidifier had had time to heat up.
Then I moved slightly to get more comfortable, I sprung a leak right into my left eye!
This is a bit annoying I thought to myself, but sorted it out and was leak free again. I lay for a while feeling pleased with myself, then I felt the mask move towards my face when I breathed in, then it would move away when I breathed out. It was fine for a start, but it was not long before It started to irritate me more than just a little. However, I put up with it for a while and was prepared to put up with it all night if it meant I would get a good night of sleep.
I made the mistake of moving after I had lay there for at least half an hour, low and behold a leak started again, much annoyed, I tightened the mask just slightly to stop the leak, this only made the mask movement even more noticeable. In towards my face when I breathed in, then out away from my face when I breathed out.
I would just have to put up with it I until I get used to it. I still had not got a wink of sleep and it was two hours in by this time! After a while the mask slipped down and air was being blown into both my eyes, so I pushed it back up again and adjusted the straps on the headgear to hold the mask up.
This was fine but it still leaked into my eyes, so I pulled it down and pushed it back up to make the silicone seal against my nose again, now the straps were not sitting right, so I had to adjust them again. Fine, it appears to have worked finally and I have no leaks, just the mask moving against the air pressure and the silicone seal. This I was just going to have to put up with to get maybe some sleep, though we are now three hours in and still no sleep.
Now all was going well I thought except for the movement of the mask, so I closed my eyes hoping to get some sleep. I couldn’t get any as I had focused on the mask moving and it was getting irritating! It was then that I felt the mask digging into my right cheek and it was beginning to get painful. I moved the mask to stop this pain, big mistake, a gale stronger than the eye of a hurricane came out of the mask, girrrrrr!
Stopped the machine and set things up again while lying on my back, now this is not the way I like to fall asleep, I like to fall asleep on my side, so I slowly turned round to sleep this way. I dared the mask to leak, it took me up on the dare and leaked into my left eye. I was fizzing by this time and if anyone had said something I might have said something I might have regretted later.
I decided to just do something quick to deal with the leak, so I found that if I held my finger out to touch the mask as my hand was up the side of my face, it sealed just enough so the leak would stop. So, rather than spend another half hour adjusting everything again I elected to do this and try to get to sleep. Three and a half hours and still no sleep yet. I lay looking at the clock and decided that I would just close my eyes and hope I dozed off.
This didn’t happen so I rolled over onto my back to try sleeping this way, however, I had to fix the leak. I was just dozing when there was a blast of air from below the mask. What the hell now I thought to myself (It almost went live!) which wouldn’t have gone down well, as it would have woke her that should always be obeyed. The mask had come over my bottom lip and the air was howling out, so I tightened it to hold it down, however, It came up again and did the same. This was starting to annoy me even more so I attempted to tighten it against my own advice, this only made matters worse, so I pulled it down a bit and held my bottom lip out a bit so it wouldn’t do it again (at least until I fell asleep) but then it started leaking into my eyes, so I went for a compromise and tried it in the middle setting. This appeared to work, but I still had to keep my lip out to hold it down, though slightly uncomfortable holding it down with my bottom lip I decided that at least I might just get some sleep!
I was just starting to doze again when the mask started making a farting noise out of the side of the mask, this really annoyed me, surely after all the problems I have had with the mask I was due to give me a break. It was not to be, I appear to have shrunk since I last adjusted the mask and it was now either leaking making rude farting noises (the other half woke at one point and hearing the noise commented POO. Just goes to show does it?) Anyway, at this point I was starting to get towards the end of my patience. I tightened the mask one more time to try to stop the leaks, it didn’t work, so I stopped the machine and adjusted everything so as there would be no more leaks.
I then settled down to sleep feeling pleased with myself that finally after four and a half hours I had mastered the mask and there were no more leaks.
The air was nice and moist, I don’t notice this with my Nasal Pillows as the air goes straight up my nostrils, but this was quite nice with the moist air blowing across my face. Now here was me lying on my side now with a small leak that had just started, but I put my hand up beside my head and that stopped the leak, my bottom lip was holding the mask from riding up, but at least I would get some sleep.
I was just about to dose off being now five hours into trying to get some sleep when I felt something trickle down my face, I reached up and it was a string or something, so I thought “What the hell is that” I gave it a light pull and to my horror the mask shot off my face with a bit of a pop and hit the cabinet three feet from my bed with a loud hiss and an even louder crack when it hit the cabinet and a clatter as it hit the floor. Now the air was free to escape it filled the room with a very loud hissing/howling noise.
This had turned out to be a quick realise cord that I had forgotten about, though I had seen it when I looked out the mask and put it on at the start. It was lying on the floor like a living thing hissing, spluttering like something out of a science fiction movie.
At this point I had had enough, the voice from the other side of the bed said a few profanities and there was a louder huff from her then there was from the hose and mask. I hit the off button as by this time the machine was screaming and the hose making a noise like a steam train in a hurry!
I grabbed the hose and unplugged it from the machine, plugged the other hose in which was still attached to my Nasal Pillows. These are very old now and taped up with insulation tape as I can’t get the parts in the UK (so the hospital say) plugged it into the humidifier and put the Nasal Pillow headgear on. At least one nostril had come clear as the air had helped clear it, I started breathing and the machine kicked in, within five minutes I was sound asleep, but not before the other nostril cleared with the pressure of air, I wasn’t even caring where the Flehm went, I was so tired!

NOW I REMEMBER WHY I DIDN’T LIKE THE MASK! :(

Goodnight.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Re: WHAT A NIGHT NEVER AGAIN!

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon May 15, 2017 1:47 am

Well I hope you all got a laugh.
NO? I won't bother again then :lol:

Just to add to the misery.
Why oh why is it always a Friday night something happens to the Sleep Apnoea equipment?
Went to bed very late for me these days on a Friday night, 1:30am.
Connected the power the the machine and hoses to the machine and humidifier (I use a stand alone humidifier as the one on the machine just does not supply enough water/humidity), put on the headgear and lay back to get a good nights sleep.
Now, as I have no safety valve on the machine as I thought myself I had to Nose breathe and don't need one, if the power fails I will automatically start breathing through my mouth once the air in the hose gets rank. Due to this the machine will start automatically after a few breathes so I don't need to reach across to push the button to start the hurricane. However, it didn't start, so I started taking bigger breathes, then bigger ones, but nothing happened! I wonder what the hell was going on with, however, I knew it would start after a few more breaths, or so I thought!
Here was me huffing and puffing and trying to get the machine to detect me, but it sat on the bedside cabinet refusing to acknowledge the fact I was even there. Strange I thought, what was wrong with it? I was making so much noise breathing that the sarcastic comment came from the other side of the bed "Oh for **** sake, you are making more ****** noise than your machine makes", this spurred me into action to have a quick look at it, this brought a sigh from her that must be obeyed.
I thought "Oh here we go, moan moan moan!"
Anyway, I leaned across as I could see nothing to stop the machine starting and pushed the button to start the machine.
Well, that gave her something to complain about :( the machine started with it usual whine and a sad sounding rumble, then there was a roar as the air built up pressure, but none reached me. "Oh for **** sake" came the response from the other side.
I then reached across to turn off the machine and got another sigh! What is a man supposed to do, not my fault something had gone wrong! :(
I looked to where the road of escaping air had come from, the middle of the hose, yes, it had split in half! :shock:
I knew I didn't have a spare, so I pulled it off the water bottle and pulled the short hose out of the machine so as vapour would not go into it.
I then looked at the hose, torn in half with just a spiral loop holding it together. :?
I grabbed the hose and got up to see if I could repair it. This of course generated a comment from her that should be obeyed "What now"?
I said "The hose is split in two, I need to do a repair." She just sighed, was she interested in something else I thought? Nah, no chance of that, so off I went downstairs to see what I could do.
A look in the cupboard and kitchen I came across Cling Film and some Insulation tape.
I held the hose together and put two strips of tape along the hose just to hold it until I could do the next part of the repair, then I wrapped tape round the hose at each end of the tape. Next I took some cling film and wrapped it round the hose to cover the middle that had ripped completely open, a few wraps round and I cut the cling film, Next I took the insulation tape and started to wrap it from one end of the cling film, first two wraps to bind it to the hose, then I wrapped it at an angle to wind it up the hose until I reach the other end, about 6 inches (15cm) but I deal in real sizes :lol: When I reached the other end I wrapped it round the hose again, then came back the other way so as it was criss crossing the tape, when I reached where I started, I did a few wraps then cut the insulation tape.
Pleased with my repair I went upstairs and plugged the hoses into the machine again, of course this brought about a few more sighs as it was now an hour later.
I lay down again and put on the headgear, this time the machine started after a few breaths, I looked at the hose and everything was holding, a few small bulges, but nothing to worry about. I had done this repair when I was in Austria once before and it worked for a week without any problems.
In the morning it was still holding and everything was fine except the moaning mini at the other side of the bed, she had gone!
I looked at the time and found it was after 9am! :shock:
She had left me to sleep on a bit, the only way I woke up was she took up something for my breakfast :)
There was a motive in her madness though, she was wanting me out of the bed so she could clean out the walk in wardrobe.
Oh well, the moment lasted all of five seconds :lol:

The point of this story is: Why is it always a Friday night that something happens when there will be nobody at the Sleep Clinic the next day or the weekend to get a part or a backup machine or part :( I did try to say that there should be someone at the hospital for emergencies, but they made all sorts of excuses why this could not happen. So it is Friday night, Saturday, Sunday, Monday morning you can phone, they might call you back on Monday afternoon if you are lucky, sometimes they do not respond on a Monday? Don't know why, do they have meeting sometimes on a Monday? Don't know, but if they do respond, they can send a part out, so it might get here by Wednesday or Thursday.
If it is the machine itself or the humidifier, you have to take it in, however, you have to phone so they can set a machine up for you when they have time, so it will be Monday, maybe Tuesday by the time you get sorted out.
At this Point I have to say they are very good, but when something lets you down on a Friday night, which always happens to me, you are stuck!
Now I have a spare machine, but it has a leaking hose as well, though not so bad, It is however attached to a Full-faced mask which is a bit of a hassle to get off. I have to get another hose for it as well, though I will just patch it for now. It is my own fault it is leaking, I was not very careful when I put it back in its carrying case and just kicked the hose in something with a sharp edge :(
However, I do have a backup machine now thanks to a user on here who sent me it for the price of the postage. So thanks to the user who sent me it. So I am more prepared than I was for emergencies, however, I will keep that to myself as far as the Sleep Clinic is concerned.

Happy days, now all I have to do is call tomorrow for a new hose to be sent out.
The repair has held for two nights without any problems. The only thing is the hose is not quite so flexible in the middle, but at least I am still getting my lungs pumped up and lets face it, it is a lot quieter than me without a
working machine :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh I can hear her now!!!!! :shock:

1:45 and I am away to bed.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Mon May 15, 2017 11:36 pm

To top everything off, I forgot to order a hose today! :(
Oh well, hope the patch holds and it does not pop during the night :lol:
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Wed May 17, 2017 5:08 pm

I ordered my new hose yesterday in the middle of the afternoon when I remembered, so I am waiting to see how long it takes.
There was a funny whistle coming from the repair this morning, but I gave the hose a shake and it stopped, think it must have been some condensation got out somewhere in the repair causing it to whistle. Strange thing is I can't feel any air escaping!
I will put it down to imagination or a dream. :lol:
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sun May 21, 2017 10:27 pm

My hose arrived by post on the Saturday morning, shoved through the letterbox :lol:
I don't know how the hell he got it through, but he did, with no damage. :)
S2S - Sleep2Snore