CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

I've given up!

If you have a story of success (or failure), then post it here for others to read.
Vee

I've given up!

Post by Vee » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:23 pm

Hi,

Just joined this evening. It's good to find this forum.

I've had problems from the get-go (diagnosed in 2005) and still am with using the CPAP. It's a case of one-size-fits-all. Only, it doesn't.

I'm claustraphobic, wake up through the night with a mouth drier than Ghandi's left flip-flop and it's an effort to open my mouth for a sip of water. I've constant rhinitis - I've got Nasonex for this and it's usless - asthma, atrial fibrillation. Can't wear a full-face mask as it panics me so.

The right side of my face has gone completely numb. Not sure if this is due to a mild form of Bell's Palsy through using the CPAP? Anybody else suffered this?

Hospital phsysio said I can't have a mask at all if I don't accept the full face mask. Luckily I was able to persuade this bossy madam to let me keep my old nasal pillows.

The only way I can get any sleep and not wake up with rhinitis is sit in my armchair all night and then at least I can get snatches of sleep for maybe 40 minutes to an hour or so at a time. Good job I'm retired, eh?

Has anybody else given up the ghost :?

Kath Hope

Re: I've given up!

Post by Kath Hope » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:24 am

Hi Vee. Have just read your post and so sorry to hear you're struggling. Please don't give up as your health is likely to go downhill. CPAP is hard for most people, and even harder for others. Check out this video on Claustrophobia, and there's lots of other videos in the series http://youtu.be/CtmCJxMvsuM

There is a products too that can help with dry mouth, which can also be used whilst sleeping. I've not tried it myself, but here's the linke http://www.orahealth.com/products/xmdm/

Do you use a humidifier? If not, then that can help too and the hospital should supply you with one.

I don't have rhinitis, but have had 2 nose operations due to a deviated septum. I use the Breatherite Nasal Strips (which you can get on this British Snoring site. I use them all the time and have come off Nasonex since I've been using them.

The hospital are trying to persuade you to use a full face mask due to your nasal issues as you probably mouth-breathe due to this, but there are lots of masks on the market that feel less claustrophobic. My 2 favourites are the FitLife by Respironics, which looks a cumbersome mask, but in actual fact doesn't feel that way when it's on. There's a clear line of sight too. The other favourite of mine is the Innomed Hybrid, which has nasal cushions plus a mouth cushion. Try Googling them both to see what you think.

Good luck and hope this has been of some help!

pav
Private Snorer

Post by pav » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:20 am

Not given up as it works for me, I was diagnosed a bit earlier than you but recently waking up with a very dry mouth and having to have a drink during the night and when I woke up in the morning.

I mentioned this at my annual review at the hospital and I was re-referred back to the main resperity clinic to see if a humidifier is suitable for me, have this appointment later today. Maybe a humidifier would be helpful to you.

Teedee
Private Snorer

Post by Teedee » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:51 am

I’m new to the world of sleep apnoea, although I’ve probably been suffering from it for years without realising! I had a home sleep test last August, and after a couple of cancellations I got to see a consultant on 7th January this year. The test showed that I have severe sleep apnoea, with an AHI of 42.7 per hour, hypopnoea 35.2 per hour and average oxygen saturation of 87%.

Only five days later I attended the local NHS Sleep Clinic for a video presentation and mask fitting, and I now have a ResMed Autoset S9 sitting beside the bed. I’m very impressed with the speed at which this all happened.

On the first night of using the machine I had 7.1 hours sleep, an AHI of 0.0, and my wife enjoyed total silence throughout the night . . . such silence that she didn’t sleep, for fear that I had died! Subsequently I have used the machine for a further eight nights, and during this time my AHI has not exceeded 0.4, during an average sleep time of 7 hours. I am using nasal pillows, and thus far I have found them to be very comfortable.

The sleep nurse at the clinic advised that I should not inform the DVLA of my condition until I have returned to the clinic on 28th January, so I am optimistic that providing my results are maintained, my driving licence may not be in jeopardy! I would be interested to know what other people have experienced when dealing with the DVLA.

I would say at the moment that my overall experience has been excellent, and the folk at the Sleep Clinic are extremely supportive . . . no complaints from me!

Mjdentist
Private Snorer

Post by Mjdentist » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:12 am

Hey, Please don't give up. This forum and its members are always there to support you. Hope you soon get rid of your problems by the suggestions given above.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:08 pm

Hi Vee,

Sorry I missed your post. Don't know why I missed it!
Please do not give up, any hours on CPAP is better than none.
One size certainly does not fit all when it comes to masks or machines either.
Some can't get on with a CPAP and need an APAP (Automatic machine).

Dry mouth is usually due to one of two things: You need a humidifier or you are loosing air through your mouth.
Air escaping out of your mouth is drying it out and also not doing the job it was put in for, that is keeping your throat open.
I see you can't get on with a full faced mask and use Nasal Pillows due to claustrophobia. I know what it feel like with a mask on, this is partly why I use Nasal Pillows myself. I did use a Full-faced mask for a while but found it to be very claustrophobic. I got over this just by holding it to my face, then progressing to holding it to my face with the hose and machine running. This way as soon as you feel any panic you can simply pull it away from your face. Holding it to your face without the air is one thing, but you start from scratch again when air under pressure is coming through the mask!

For your Nasal Pillows, try a chin strap, now these come as varied as face masks, so if the first one you try does not work, get another type.
You can also loose air through your lips, this is more difficult to stop. Some refer to it as lip popping, this is when your lips open, let a little air out then close again. Some Americans tape their mouths shut. (Some should do that anyway LOL, well some I have met!)

A bit about Sleep Apnoea and Dry Mouth.
Why you sometimes wake up with a dry mouth and feel less refreshed than when you don't.
Tips on how to help with dry mouth at the end of the video.

You can open the video in another tab by right clicking and selecting Open in another tab/or window.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3geaVLtuenM
S2S - Sleep2Snore