CPAP Rental
1 week trial. Try before you buy.
Home Sleep Study
Diagnose OSA. Fast and accurate.
Stop Snoring Clinic
Tried everything? We can help you.

The Snoring & Sleep Apnoea Forums

Not convinced

If you have a story of success (or failure), then post it here for others to read.
grandpa

Not convinced

Post by grandpa » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi, I'm a New member. I had a home test early December 2011. The test was by way of a clothes peg gadget on my finger overnight, and just one night !. When I returned the cloths peg gadget to my local hospital they said I was suffering from mild sleep apnoea, registering a number of 11. This I understand relates to the number of times I wake or woke up during each hour of the night. I am still not convinced that my problem is sleep apnoea. I am not a big guy, I am about 5'-10" and weigh 12 stone 4lbs with a collar size of 15". I have always been a skinny kid, although now in retirement my waistline has a mind of its own. I do NOT snore ( my wife insists ) I do have a blocked nose a lot of the time and feel that this is my problem. I have noticed that I can't seem to sleep during the daytime though, even when I feel very tired ( Sunday afternoon after lunch particularly) I do find myself dropping off then rousing up again suddenly gasping for breath. Could this be put down to nasal airway blockage. Or is that the dreaded sign. Same goes if I take the rare bath, I seem to doze but then wake panicking and short of breath. I was given a full CPAP mask just before Christmas, a bad time for me as we had lots of our familly around for a week or more, I couldn't try the machine out as there always seemed to be others around and grandchildren coming into the bedroom. After trying it one night I had to snatch it off within a few minutes. I tried it a number of times during the daytime after that but could not stand it. It feels like a worst nightmare, I just could not get on with it. Like other members on the forum I am panicking, the most I could account for was 3 hours one afternoon whilst watching TV. I have now returned the CPAP and am going to try one of the mouth piece units off the internet to see if this works for me. I do think though that I need one that allows me to breathe through my mouth as well, as if my nose blocks up I would be panicking again. I tried 'the nose test' as sugested on one of the web pages in the BSSAA website, and yes, if I hold my nostril open one side at a time I can breathe better. How can I really know if I am suffering from the dreaded curse or not ? Does anyone out there have the problem without a snoring problem ? :( :(

Solly
Corporal Snorer

Re: Not convinced

Post by Solly » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:16 pm

Not sure your home test was of the best quality.
My overnight test consisted of a box strapped to my chest, small pipe up each nostril, several stick on monitor pads, and the finger thing.
From this they produced a chart allegedly showing my overnight sleep pattern. I did point out that the whole set up was so uncomfortable it was hardly likely to be representative of a nights sleep with or without sleep apnoea.
You can google sleep test and look at the images to give you some idea of what the real kit looks like, from your description your test was done on the cheap.

I might also add that my subsequent treatment has been abysmal, and the only possible reason I would continue treatment would be to get me back on the road.

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:31 am

Your home test was not good and proves nothing.
It should have been followed up with a Sleep Test in a hospital Sleep Clinic.
The test you had is only an indication of whether you have Sleep Apnoea or not.
Back to the Doctor or Sleep Clinic and insist on a proper sleep test.
S2S - Sleep2Snore

Solly
Corporal Snorer

Post by Solly » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:50 pm

Clearly they had no intention of doing further investigation as indicated by offering me an appointment in 6 weeks or 52 weeks.

As for my complaint about waking up in the early hours, barely managing to get the 4 hours required to prove my treatment was working for the DVLA, I was told that if I wake early, keep the mask on until you have passed the 4 hours then you can take it off. Living a Lie I call it.

This confirmed for me that the whole thing was utter and complete bullsquirt, I have now been off treatment for about 6 weeks, getting a good nights sleep, clearly still alive, and will only return to the machine should I get my licence back, eventually.

Basically what they are doing is telling me to falsify my readings, unbelievable really, but I expect nothing more of "Our NHS".

Sleep2Snore
General Snorer

Post by Sleep2Snore » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:26 pm

Thankfully, not all the NHS is the same.
I am north of the border and I can't say I have any complaints.
It is all a bit of a post code lottery.

If you have the money to spare, do your research and get a private clinic to sort it out.
It will cost you though and if it is your health we are talking about it may well be worth it.

There are a lot of sharks about so do your research and ask someone that has been treated there, if at all possible.
S2S - Sleep2Snore